Dope on 22LR, but will be obsolete in Cali.

Just sicking, I am getting madder by the day. We're the hell is the NRA.
Losing battle......#$#@#$$##

Lee,

I'll guarantee you that half the folks here on SCH don't belong to the NRA.....Then there's the folks that vote democrat that hunt or own guns.....:mad:

ps.....CRPA and the NRA have had many lawsuits.....It's just California judges and of course politicians are just in total control of our future as gun owners & hunters.

Reactions: TheGDog
Because of this thread, I did a little research. CCI does make a non lead .22 round. It's a 21 grain bullet @1850 fps! I found that big 5 sells them for about $12 for a box of 50. Definitely not cheap, but there is an option. I don't think I'll be plinking those off for the fun of it.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Going to go unpopular here. With a person of questionable smarts, from a certain party, demanding a 14th century solution to a 21st century problem, I can not in good conscience vote for those people. Especially with the juvenile temper tantrums and although taking responsibility on national TV then trying to blame someone else. I know of smarter six year olds.

Yes, the lead ban is stupid "to protect an extinct bird' but then I didn't vote for Newsom either.

Because of this thread, I did a little research. CCI does make a non lead .22 round. It's a 21 grain bullet @1850 fps! I found that big 5 sells them for about $12 for a box of 50. Definitely not cheap, but there is an option. I don't think I'll be plinking those off for the fun of it.

The Copper-22's work just fine! This I confirmed with Rabbits.

EDIT: Personally I recommend going with a .17 HMR instead. So much nicer for taking Rabbits at any kind of distance! .22's go til about 70-80 yds before they start dropping off badly. .17 HMR goes to like 125-150 before starts dropping off badly. Sniping Rabbits with a .17 HMR is just plain a joy! Whereas with the .22 LR it *can* be frustrating at times trying to figure out holdover. With the .17... basically, you never have to worry about hold-over. Just point and shoot (unless they happen to be quite close, then you might need to aim a little higher to make up for line-of-sight of your scope above your barrels bore axis. Anyhoo... seriously... just get a .17 HMR instead. You will NOT regret it!

Attachments

• WP_20170813_001.jpg
    WP_20170813_001.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Reactions: longbowhunter2
Hard to find and expensive.
Yet here we are. Until the law changes.
Time to buy it before July.

The Copper-22's work just fine! This I confirmed with Rabbits.

EDIT: Personally I recommend going with a .17 HMR instead. So much nicer for taking Rabbits at any kind of distance! .22's go til about 70-80 yds before they start dropping off badly. .17 HMR goes to like 125-150 before starts dropping off badly. Sniping Rabbits with a .17 HMR is just plain a joy! Whereas with the .22 LR it *can* be frustrating at times trying to figure out holdover. With the .17... basically, you never have to worry about hold-over. Just point and shoot (unless they happen to be quite close, then you might need to aim a little higher to make up for line-of-sight of your scope above your barrels bore axis. Anyhoo... seriously... just get a .17 HMR instead. You will NOT regret it!
Larry as with any rifle, tactical scope. I was looking at the CDS
Scopes recommend by Truduct (Drew). I think 17HMR are great,
The 22lr is great for ground squirrels, rabbits, rodent, varmint in general. Ammo is cheap.or was lol. I could buy a bucket cheap$$$. For plinkiing. Targets
What ever. I have 2 rifles that take 223. I need new quality Scopes.
That is the key.
Every one uses what they can or
What they are comfortable with.
I grew up with a 22LR. So yes
I agree with you summation.
Yet I do well with a 22lr.
As with any tool. It the expertise of the Craftsman. Not the tool it self.

Reactions: Nuevo
Oh Duuuude!... if you like Sniping Ground Squirrels?... you will sound off with Maniacal Laughter with a .17 HMR and a set of Kwik Stiks in your hands!

I've Decimated entire family units all at 75-to-100Yds! And soo many times I could have sniped Quail too while I was at it. But don't have the Upland stamp and it's not on approved methods of take (for some odd reason).

As a test, I popped a spent 12 Gauge cartridge I found out there. I set it up at 80yds!

Reactions: Nuevo
I decided many years ago to no longer hunt in Ca. Every week one of the many Liberal politician in this state puts forward another anti/hunter piece of legislation, all of which are intended to end hunting and gun ownership in this state. I hear those who say that will never happen and they may be right to an extent but whether or not they get an entire ban on both, they will most certainly make it all but impossible due to cost or laws which make firearms all but impossible to own. I now hunt only in hunter friendly states. Ca. doesn't want the money I spend on outdoors activities and I don't want them to have it.

I decided many years ago to no longer hunt in Ca. Every week one of the many Liberal politician in this state puts forward another anti/hunter piece of legislation, all of which are intended to end hunting and gun ownership in this state. I hear those who say that will never happen and they may be right to an extent but whether or not they get an entire ban on both, they will most certainly make it all but impossible due to cost or laws which make firearms all but impossible to own. I now hunt only in hunter friendly states. Ca. doesn't want the money I spend on outdoors activities and I don't want them to have it.

Right on, John

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu