Double gun for ducks

fish dog

Apr 28, 2015
Johnson City, TN
Just by observation over the years I don't see too many double guns out in the marsh. Mostly I see pumps and semi-autos. Also, in my experience, I have to admit that most of the time (although not all the time) I throw that third shot after an escaping bird it's usually a waste and I'd probably be better off saving it for another opportunity later.

Just wondered what ya'all thought about using a double gun in the duck blind vs. a pump or auto.

In a small blind it's pretty hard to crack that over under open. But having 2 chokes is nice. The auto is just awesome for all the auto reasons.

I agree with autos being awesome, just remember to align your shots. Don't just pull the trigger ad fast as you can (like a lot of guys with semis, bang bang bang). The idea of two chokes is interesting, and I have done this for dove. The only real benefit I have found for that is you are less likely to obliterate a dove up close with a more open choke, although sometimes it just really doesn't matter. For me modified is usually always best, I can't call well so getting ducks to land close enough for it to matter isn't a problem much. Even when they are close it doesn't seem to matter, I either hit or I miss.
I think another reason most people don't have doubles, and at least for me this is true, is that they are usually pretty nice. I don't want to trash a citori with salty mud, you know?
Doubles are heavier as well which might matter if you are hauling a lot of stuff, lighter is always better in my opinion.
Another neat thing about some semis (hush, hush, keep it on the down low) they can "float" an extra round in the chamber!
It's a bitch to do though and sometimes can affect operation if done improperly. Kinda neat when it works though. I don't do it while hunting although.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

About the only upside is not having to chase your empties as they float away,
If I had two barrels I would just run two mods in it....

At the turn of the century, the SxS doubles were the rage for waterfowlers.....Then with the advent of the Browning Auto 5, the solid Winchester Model 12 pump, and smokeless powder, doubles became fairly obsolete for the hardcore duck & goose hunters.....Fast forward to today and you have most everyone shooting autos.....And for good reason.....Faster swinging, 3 shots, reliable as most pumps (even Beretta's... ;D), and with camo finishes, no rust issues.

About the only people I know that shoot doubles nowadays (mostly O/U's) are duck club type folks..... ;)

ps.....Bought a camo waterfowl specific O/U a number of years ago.....Kicked like a mule, heavy, and that 3rd shot IS nice for triples. Plus, wounded birds on the water.

ilovesprig said:
At the turn of the century, the SxS doubles were the rage for waterfowlers.....Then with the advent of the Browning Auto 5, the solid Winchester Model 12 pump, and smokeless powder, doubles became fairly obsolete for the hardcore duck & goose hunters.....Fast forward to today and you have most everyone shooting autos.....And for good reason.....Faster swinging, 3 shots, reliable as most pumps (even Beretta's... ;D), and with camo finishes, no rust issues.

About the only people I know that shoot doubles nowadays (mostly O/U's) are duck club type folks..... ;)

ps.....Bought a camo waterfowl specific O/U a number of years ago.....Kicked like a mule, heavy, and that 3rd shot IS nice for triples. Plus, wounded birds on the water.

Just curious Steve was that waterfowl specific O/U a Tri Star?

I don't think so, but could've been......I know it wasn't a Citori or Stoeger Condor......Not many made in camo.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu