Dove call?

Gspman

Dec 2, 2014
North LA county
hey all. Ive bene to the IV many time for dove and used decoys at times mostly just find the flight path and stand near the truck and hunt. But my father is pretty old school and loves animal calls of all kinds. turkey, quail, deer, yotes ect...... does any one hunt dove with calls? he will be going with us this year to the IV for the second time and is getting his dove call and learning to use it. im sure he will be good at it as he is good at all calls but will this help at all in the IV? we do have a spread of decoys we are planning on using and posting up under/inside some bush but any one actually use a dove call?

thanks

Doug,

Doves do most their calling in the breeding months (Feb-Aug).......Dove calls have little value when you can hunt them......Cool to call around the house though........ ;D

Now dove decoys and dove spinners are a different.......... ;)

thats kind of what i thought. thanks. I do have a spread of a dozen decoys with some feeders and some wind spinners. they work very well. Ill even keep one smaller clip on decoy in my belt bags when im out walking and if i see a new fly way ill put just one out and it seams to work really well all alone.

If it makes pops happy, I would not poo poo it...I have a dove call but bought it as more of a novelty thing. ;)

I do the dove call using my hands instead of a plastic call. Sounds really good. I've used it in the field with pretty good success... I'm not saying I can call them in if they're flying away like a duck or from far distances, but I've made them tree hop from close by trees (within 100 yards) to within shooting range. Seemed to happen too often to just be a coincidence. Even if they don't come in to you from calling, I don't know what the IV is like but you will normally get a response coo to give you a location if they're sitting and not flying. I don't think it'll hurt to let the 'ol boy whale away on it. If you're successful, you can always thank him for his calling skill!

Thanks for a different perspective. He is so good and experienced with other calls and excited to try this that I want him to go for it any way no matter but I wanted to make sure it's not going to drive them away.

A dove call is pretty useless. You won't call in any dove by using it. I've tried. I have a Haydel dove call and it sounds great but flat out doesn't work. I still bring it every year but only as a novelty. It's great for giving your hunting partner a courtesy wake up phone call and blowing the call over the phone. Aside from that, it won't do a darn thing.

Like Sprig mentioned, the most common cooing is done for breeding. In Sept, that is all over with.

Deeks work like a charm. I've had dove land on a barbed wire fence along with my deeks and spinners. Happens every year.

They won't be able to hear it over the shooting........you ducker/dovers are funny decoys and all......first part of the season the birds are so thick just breakup your outline and start shooting. Now if I have a not so good shooter or a short barrel 20ga shooter I'll use one for them only because it's getting hot and they're the last to limit......it's all about the pool & a good breakfast before a nap then do it again......

I agree they're kind of a novelty/toy. My wife got me one a few years back as a gag gift since I was always trying to "coo" to them in the backyard. Like Sluice I have a Haydel, which sounds good but won't get you any birds flying your way. At best one might respond back to you. But, like my Primos quail call, I'll still bring it with me just for kicks to see if anything calls back. Invest your money in a Mojo or 2.

I all ways find the best way to get doves is to scout. Find out where they are eating look for grain piles cut corn fields get 3 or 4 of your buddies and blast away. Never rely on last years field or spot things change. If you have a good spot in the valley limits should come easy even if you are a bad shot.

Little off subject, but this is a good way to scout/look for doves.......Get binos, get into likely areas, then watch the telephone lines, fences, and dead trees......Remember, doves have two roosts......Midday and night time.

Doves are a flock bird except for the breeding season.....Was just listening to a male cooing outside my window.

Attachments

• FOW Work Party 8-18-12 034.JPG
    FOW Work Party 8-18-12 034.JPG
    371.2 KB · Views: 12
  • ss club 7-6-13 004.JPG
    ss club 7-6-13 004.JPG
    355.7 KB · Views: 14
  • ss club 7-6-13 006.JPG
    ss club 7-6-13 006.JPG
    721.9 KB · Views: 22
  • wister 7-17-13 007.JPG
    wister 7-17-13 007.JPG
    275 KB · Views: 18
  • IV 8-20-13 012.JPG
    IV 8-20-13 012.JPG
    701.2 KB · Views: 27
for you guys that must have a decoy. Break out your Duck mojo and put it in the field. Dove are pretty stupid and they will land on a mallard just the same as a dove mojo.

By the way no Calling dove, or wearing camo! Shorts in any color a neutral color tshirt and boots.....

Aeon said:
for you guys that must have a decoy. Break out your Duck mojo and put it in the field. Dove are pretty stupid and they will land on a mallard just the same as a dove mojo.

By the way no Calling dove, or wearing camo! Shorts in any color a neutral color tshirt and boots.....

Soooo fully ghillie, turkey blind, and scent eliminator is frowned upon ;)

Thanks for the responses some a little out there but still. I want to make it clear I have hunted dove a long time I post up in bushes with maybe some camo but usually a tan shirt and always with the boonie hat I get plenty. I was just asking about the call because the old man was excited about getting one. I do use decoys both fixed and wind wings. Thanks for the info that it won't help. Now I know not to expect much I anything. I never needed much help past the decoys to limit out.

I wear camo so the warden knows whom to check & it dries quick incase I have to dive into a canal to pull a lab out......

MJB said:
I wear camo so the warden knows whom to check & it dries quick incase I have to dive into a canal to pull a lab out......

Yea I've had my share of jumping in that dirty water to get a stupid dog out of the canal.

MJB said:
I wear camo so the warden knows whom to check & it dries quick in case I have to dive into a canal to pull a lab out......

Yep......Happens all the time...... :-[

I tell this story often......I'm hunting pheasant on the opener right on the Mexico border.....As I'm standing by my truck with my friends Brittany & my knucklehead. A group of guys come walking by out in the field. One of their labs breaks away and jumps in the canal just down from us......He instantly starts down stream and I start yelling at the guy to get his dog. I run over to the canal and the lab is sucked under the road. To say the guy is distrait is a understatement.....All of a sudden probably 100 yds away, a couple of fisherman start yelling. I run over there and out had popped this guys dog......He had travel at least 75 yds underwater......Lucky dude for sure.

Yep......last one I saved was some fluff ball that fell in and luckily he bite my wrist so I could toss him to land......

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu