Dove Conitions - Imperial Valley & Arizona

NBK

Trying to be the man my dog thinks I am.
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Mar 8, 2011
San Diego, Ca.
I was in the Valley recently and I must say that I have not seen better dove habitat and overall great conditions in many years. Due to the massive export of grain to China, there are wheat fields as far as the eye can see - from Drew road all the way out to Blythe and Yuma.

We were seeing very large bird flocks of all three species (Morning, Whitewing and Eurasian). In fact we were having to dodge birds while driving the roads. The dove were taking advantage of a quick and easy meals due to the heavy traffic of grain trucks spilling and scattering morsels of seed on the paved roads.

Hopefully having this much of a widespread food source, the crowds of dove hunters will have more room to spread across the expanse of hunting areas.

One things for sure, if we do not encounter heavy storms prior to opening day and thereafter, we're in for a great season!

These are my express opinions derived from my experiences - I know less than most and half as much as some! ???

Was in Yuma yesterday for work so I thought I would check and see if the Dove were flying. Got to the spot about 1:00, NO BIRDS. Drove around for a little bit and only saw 8-9 birds; thought crap. I needed to get to work. So I went to take care of some business and came back about 4:30. There were Dove every where. Found one really good flyway that would have been easy to limit in say a half an hour.

The people I talked to yesterday said it has been really hot down there. Wednesday it was 122 degrees and yesterday my thermometer was between 109-115.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu