DRAFT ENVIRONMENTAL DOCUMENT MIGRATORY GAME BIRD HUNTING (WATERFOWL, COOTS, MOORHENS) Section 502, Title 14 California Code of Regulations

Designed2Hunt

Aug 18, 2019
Waterfowlers might find the following CDFW document of interest, which encompasses how CA waterfowl regulations are set:
DRAFT ENVIRONMENTAL DOCUMENT MIGRATORY GAME BIRD HUNTING (WATERFOWL, COOTS, MOORHENS) Section 502, Title 14 California Code of Regulations

specifically the text in red below:
...members of the public have expressed concern regarding the following: 1) mechanical spinning wing decoys in the use of taking waterfowl during past hunting seasons. Specifically, since 2002 about 100 letters and or public testimony has been received by the Fish and Game Commission to ban mechanically spinning wing decoys while only about 12 letters of support or public testimony in favor of mechanically spinning wing decoys during the same time period (Department files); 2) the Commission has received numerous letters both supporting and opposing the continued hunting in Morro and Tomales bays; and 3) opposition to the continued restrictions on bag limit and season length for white-fronted geese in the Sacramento Valley Special Management Area.

What changes to the regulations would you like to see?
  • One obvious one might be the pintail limit, but that is set by the feds and is though get changed.
  • Swan and crane hunting?
  • No Dec 1 restriction on spinners?
  • Expanded hunting opportunities on state lands?

Reactions: ilovesprig
Specifically, since 2002 about 100 letters and or public testimony has been received by the Fish and Game Commission to ban mechanically spinning wing decoys while only about 12 letters of support or public testimony in favor of mechanically spinning wing decoys during the same time period (Department files)
Well...it would have been nice if someone told us there was a letter-writing competition on this. Had anybody heard the Commission was counting letters on this subject like votes or that they were even taking letters on this? I personally don't like the things and don't use one but I'll defend the right of anyone who wants to use one as it's just one more thing that, apparently, they're trying to chip off the block until they can chip off enough to get a de facto hunting ban.

Yea, knowing they are comparing the number of letters received I will start writing weekly to open Anza-Borrego State Park to hunting, Like Andy Dufresne.

California Fish and Game Commission
P.O. Box 944209
Sacramento, CA 94244-2090

State Park and Recreation Commission
P.O. Box 942896
Sacramento, CA 94296-0001

81547f16-7c38-4e87-ad0e-e5a15eaaf67c_screenshot.jpg

Last edited:
In 20 years they’ve only received 112 letters sounds pretty irrelevant either way to me. I’ll write a letter now that I know it would make a difference
5 letters per year isnt nothing. its 10x what the other side is doing.

If anyone wants to post a sample template you think may be effective I'm all ears. I'll be sending a few letters out, just not sure what to say.

Reactions: Designed2Hunt

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu