Duck Call Preference - Wood or Acrylic and Why ?

KennyQuacker

Jun 13, 2013
El Cajon, CA
I'm looking for some opinions on your duck call preference, Wood or Acrylic and Why ?

I have recently renewed my interest in starting back into my old hobby, of making duck calls. Years back, I was making banded, wooden duck call barrels, buying, modifying and tuning Echo call inserts. This time, I'd like to take a larger step, towards becoming a real duck call maker, by designing my own call insert, having a tool jig machined, then modifying and refining it, all to develop my own complete duck call design, with a unique and solid functional sound.

If I get some positive feedback on Acrylic calls, I will look into what's all involved to turn and finish an Acrylic call. I've seen a few made on youtube and I'm pretty sure I have all the tools. If not, and it's too much of a learning curve and cost, I'll just stick with wood.

Honestly, this is only an occasional hobby. I really enjoy dinkin' around my workshop making new things. I am not looking to sell these, as I did years back. I sold enough to pay for my material cost, but it's just too much of a hassle and not worth the time or effort, so I just gave the rest away to kids and as auction donations. I am only looking for opinions and preferences. Thanks! Kenny

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the call you gave me years ago Kenny. And glad to see you rear your head on SCH. I use both wood and acrylic. They each definitely have a different sound. I like the way wood feels and sounds. Warmer for sure. Not necessarily better, just like wood. Good luck brother and stay in touch!

I don't use any wooden ducks calls these days, but still like my short reed, wood honker calls (Tim Grounds & Josh Kettl).......... :blush:

ps...Just thinking out loud...A good widgeon or pintail wooden whistle may be cool...Either Murillo style or Faults...Even Herter's made a pintail/widgeon whistle.

.IMG_1136.JPG

I don't use any wooden ducks calls these days, but still like my short reed, wood honker calls (Tim Grounds & Josh Kettl).......... :blush:

ps...Just thinking out loud...A good widgeon or pintail wooden whistle may be cool...Either Murillo style or Faults...Even Herter's made a pintail/widgeon whistle.

.View attachment 54210

Hey Steve, which Tim Grounds goose call do you have? I have two acrylic Half Breeds, one cocobolo Half Breed and one of his original acrylic flutes. All of them are great but I do like the cocobolo Half Breed the best.

I also have an acrylic Fred Zink short reed call a really like.

Love the call you gave me years ago Kenny. And glad to see you rear your head on SCH. I use both wood and acrylic. They each definitely have a different sound. I like the way wood feels and sounds. Warmer for sure. Not necessarily better, just like wood. Good luck brother and stay in touch!
Ha!....that was a few years ago ;) Hopefully it's still pulling in the ducks. Lots of things have changed for me, so I'm getting back to hobies I really enjoy. Agree, I am partial to wood calls myself. Acrylic has a unique sound, that really works and sounds solid. Miss talking everything hunting, especially archery and waterfowl. I'll be hanging around this forum a bit more for sure. Nice to hear from you. !

Reactions: NBK

.View attachment 54210
You read my mind. I have always liked that Murillo call. It would be a challenge to figure out how to make that on my wood lathe. I have a few ideas...may make a little firewood in the process. Ha! Good thoughts and ideas. Thanks!

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu