Duck Hunting Buckets, Seats & Stools

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
One of the most important aspects of duck hunting is sitting for long periods of time. There's a number of seats and stools that have a purpose and comfort levels.

Mud seats (tule seats) are a must when hunting in tules or out in the water (1st pic).....The 2 on the left are home made and only cost a few bucks. They are heavy. So carting them is normally a requirement. The one on the left is store bought (Avery)....They are much lighter and work well....I almost never go to a blind without them.....Around 40-60 bucks

The buckets are the old school standbys....Depending on your height, buckets come in different sizes. Because I'm tall, I like the softball style (about 2" taller). They are also for the most part waterproof.....A must have.

The Director's chairs are by far the most comfortable. But because they don't carry much or anything. A blind bag or additional bucket is required. They also work very well in shallow water.....Cart is needed normally

Lastly, there's the square bucket. Really good (storage + back rest), but really heavy. Needs to be carted most the time (last pic).

ps.....I don't like the folding type chairs that come in a bag. They sit too low in the butt, and have little use in water.

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    548.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    582.2 KB · Views: 19
  • WW & Wister 1-16-12 030.JPG
    WW & Wister 1-16-12 030.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
Re: Duck Hunting Seats & Stools

Good info Steve. I'm getting a slough stool soon. Lots of options out there so make sure if you're buying instead of building, you read peoples reviews and Q&A. That's why I like Cableas over BPS. You don't have to buy from them, but they tend to have good reviews and a lot of Q&A. You can always post a question too and someone will answer you within a few days.

Great post steve.

my go-to's are a marsh stool (cabelas northern flight - cant be the price and a lot of padding for my skinny butt), and a regular folding aluminium "dove" stool. make sure the dove stool is aluminium because steel is too heavy.

i like the directors chairs but they are a little bulky, the dove stool folds up and fits perfectly in the bottom of a jet sled.

as for the buckets, they are great too, but a little bulky for me (takes up a lot of room in the sled/cart) but no doubt a good seat.

I will attest to the comfort of the director's chair. I use one of those almost exclusively now. The older I get the more it becomes my go-to chair.

Bucket & sled......Don't leave home without them...... ;D

The Directors chair fits right in the bottom of the large sled too................... ;)

Attachments

• wister 12-21-11 014.JPG
    wister 12-21-11 014.JPG
    455 KB · Views: 19
  • wister 12-21-11 015.JPG
    wister 12-21-11 015.JPG
    455.9 KB · Views: 18

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu