Duck recipe?

ktkheatsfan

Sep 25, 2013
Hi all:

I went duck hunting and got some duck! I was wondering if you all could help me out on how to cook it up? This is my first time hunting duck so any help would be great!

Thanks!

KT,

Here's Ducks Unlimited's website.......Lots of recipes on here.......I grind or jerk most my ducks. If they're mallards (or any big duck or goose)......I like to butterfly them. Then put jalapenos & cheese in the middle. Wrap with bacon....Then bbq till bacon is done.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCgQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ducks.org%2Fhunting%2Frecipes&ei=BlCsVJW1IpHUoASH_YDQAw&usg=AFQjCNEiotcFCZqCXOkO9DsmanjufJMNCQ&sig2=AdJrV2IG7YVLYEghlxsysA&bvm=bv.83134100,d.cGU

Attachments

• tof campout & bbq 071.JPG
    tof campout & bbq 071.JPG
    749.5 KB · Views: 12
Yeah that's what I did the jalapeno cheese bacon wrapped. I loved it my brother didn't so I'm trying to find a recipe for him. Thanks for the link I'll be checking it out!

To me, duck tastes like liver. I suspect that's what many refer to as "gamey". Whatever the case, I hate the taste of liver. So when I have meat that tastes like liver, I cook it in something spicy, for a long time. Examples of this are gumbo, chili, taco meat, etc.

This past weekend, a buddy and I shot two limits of ducks, mostly teal and spoonies. I had a bowl of homemade green salsa (made of tomatillos), so I simmered a few breasts in it for a few hours. I like the way it turned out, so I dumped the rest of them in, added the rest of the salsa, added some homemade red chili sauce, and simmered it overnight. It will make good tacos tonight!

I've heard snow geese referred to as "flying liver", and "flying carp". I tried cooking a snow goose breast like a steak, and it was a dismal failure (marinade was completely wrong). But I cooked them (including gizzards, hearts, necks, etc.) overnight, and made gumbo out of it, serving it to a group of guys who had never had ducks/geese before. It tasted like beef! And that's the thing about gumbo- it's the great equalizer! It makes even coots...yes, I said COOTS...taste like beef. Did I mention I put coots in that same pot of gumbo??? 8)

I'm also a fan of jalapeno poppers with dove or duck meat, as well as jerky. I'm sure sausage is fantastic as well, but I have yet to try it. So for me, long, slow, and spicy is the key!

And when guys say "don't overcook", they mean "don't cook it past rare". I agree with this assessment as well, unless you cook it as I describe above.

Ya I found that out haha. It was really gamy my friend told me to cook it till the bacon is done and that's what I did but I put the BBQ on high and the bacon wouldn't cook. My BBQ sucks lol.

I had cooked some mallard last night, tasted like deer heart. I put some butter in the skillet and seasoned the breast with some of my uncles "secret seasoning" and cooked until it was medium rare-ish. Tasted great!

I got some ducks this weekend with my brother and dad and we made some of them up tonight. We just breaded them in flower and cooked thm in a pan. Then we cut them up into bite size pieces and mixed them in some dirty rice. Very good. I've been doing that for a couple years now.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu