Eastern Sierra’s

TRICER

Dec 20, 2014
tricerusa.com
Spent a few nights backpacking up in the Sierras with my 11 year old over the weekend. We caught a few rainbows in high altitude lakes. Scouted deer and had an all around great time. To say there is still snow up there would be an understatement. Wish I could upload the video of him but sliding giant hills with his pack on. As always it was a great adventure which is the most important part to me.
I have a good idea of the area I will be hunting come September. Wish the snow was more melted a lot of the deer are still down low. But I know they will come up as the snow melts. I am excited to spend a week up above 10,000ft chasing bucks on the moon.

32DF2E9F-9339-4890-A34F-D551EAA5487A.jpeg3C15FDF4-2EBC-4303-91FF-6D19C4F7CD1E.jpegA61C1D32-0BAC-45E6-B565-BBE90B09FD8E.jpeg408DD049-EFD0-49EC-B1D4-688A39C14D9D.jpegD9F5BE57-BB65-4AC3-8463-87F50DA1C876.jpegBECF00A8-F483-4674-B009-B5532CF20802.jpeg40DF3E84-03A5-4FE3-A6A0-DAF0DFAAF487.jpeg4AF45465-620A-4355-8372-796B0CB58EC6.jpegBD8C14BD-FABC-418F-A158-30DB7D09A4D0.jpegA402E2B5-DD24-4D13-AC02-A0642735E5FB.jpeg

Cool beans Drew.
Obviously you didn’t need to carry much water. So what did you get the pack weight down to ?
Also that’s a long fricken rod for a pack rod.

Cool beans Drew.
Obviously you didn’t need to carry much water. So what did you get the pack weight down to ?
Also that’s a long fricken rod for a pack rod.
Including the pack, 15s, tri-pod, tent, quilt, pad, 2.5 days food, cooking stuff, fishing gear, puffy jacket, merino long sleeve, gloves, xtra pair socks, water filter, and all the miscellaneous in my OR organizer I was right under 28lbs.

I had the kid at 14lbs with his bag, pad, food, clothes, knife and headlamp.

I feel like I have really got my backcountry set up down real light now. I definitely could shave a few more oz here or there but I live comfortably on my set up.

Kicking myself for forgetting my OR gaters at home. Had to make 4 creek crossings on the way up and 4 on the way down. Had to take the boots off to cross and that snow melt turns your feet purple quick.

Including the pack, 15s, tri-pod, tent, quilt, pad, 2.5 days food, cooking stuff, fishing gear, puffy jacket, merino long sleeve, gloves, xtra pair socks, water filter, and all the miscellaneous in my OR organizer I was right under 28lbs.

I had the kid at 14lbs with his bag, pad, food, clothes, knife and headlamp.

I feel like I have really got my backcountry set up down real light now. I definitely could shave a few more oz here or there but I live comfortably on my set up.

Kicking myself for forgetting my OR gaters at home. Had to make 4 creek crossings on the way up and 4 on the way down. Had to take the boots off to cross and that snow melt turns your feet purple quick.
Nice setup Drew. Glad it worked out
For both of you.
28 lbs is light.

Have you ever considered bringing a gold pan with you? The plastic ones work pretty well. What an amazing place to spend with your boy! hellgrammites for bait?

Reactions: TRICER
Have you ever considered bringing a gold pan with you? The plastic ones work pretty well. What an amazing place to spend with your boy! hellgrammites for bait?
Extracting gold hasn’t really crossed my mind but I am planning on depositing some copper up there in September.
I am sure there is gold up there somewhere though.

Extracting gold hasn’t really crossed my mind but I am planning on depositing some copper up there in September.
I am sure there is gold up there somewhere though.
LOL! Any little stream up there will have gold in it. Just look for black sand....Sept will be perfect water levels will be a trickle ...after you slay your hoofed beast of course Could pay for your trip. Hope you get your dream buck!

Awesome time with your boy! Great looking country. Good luck with the deer!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu