Eastern Sierras - Crickets as Trout Bait?

JakeSCH

Oct 16, 2017
Has anyone made it up to the Eastern Sierra's for trout fishing this year? I'll be up there all next week staying on the June Lake Loop, but plan to hit up mammoth lakes, as well as doing some fly-fishing.

I usually use artificial baits (kastmasters, thomas boyounts, mice tails, mini jigs, fly's, etc) but I had a dream this week that I caught a big brown using a cricket. Has anyone had any luck using crickets (or ever try it) up there?

I know it was just a dream, maybe I am too excited, but I plan on stopping at a pet store on my way up to buy a container of crickets to see what happens.

Jake,

Crickets are great bait....And browns do love them.....Try the Bridgeport area, if you have a chance.....Drifting cricket under the under cut banks can be great.....Most shops up there used to sell them.

Reactions: JakeSCH
Works great in all the streams up there used a lot on the Owens. Split shot and about 18 inch leader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JakeSCH
Works great in all the streams up there used a lot on the Owens. Split shot and about 18 inch leader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that is my go-to setup for up, varying my leader with depth. I also drop shot from shore on the lakes with success as well. They love to hit as the bait is falling.

light line is the key also, I like mono mixed with fluorocarbon Yo zuri , https://yo-zuri.com/products/hybrid-600yd-clear/ , 4 lb test

Yeah I agree. I typically use 2 lb PLINE FlouroClear with Gamakatsu hooks as a fairly inexpensive setup but I have had lots of success with it.

Last edited:
Brown trout in the eastern sierras are so fun. I reccomend getting on google earth or ONX and finding some lakes that take a little hike to get to. The picture below is 7 years ago little drew was 4 we hiked 3 miles to a lake in Tuolome Meadows and tore the browns up. By far this is my best fishing memory. Whatever the kid threw he was getting hooked up. Nothing better than a brown wrappped in foil with butter and lemon over an open campfire. That pink meat is so good!

We weren’t using crickets back then but I wouldn’t hesitate just use a bobber, a 30” lead, and some light line and you will hook up.

26A7A3CD-D9EA-4D5F-A2FB-5F32943B1837.jpeg

Attachments

• 8F948692-8D95-4DB2-B5F8-0D9FD04F7095.jpeg
    8F948692-8D95-4DB2-B5F8-0D9FD04F7095.jpeg
    274.6 KB · Views: 13
@Truduct I agree! I am looking forward to when my son understands fishing more (he is just under 2). My first time fishing up there was about 4 years ago and about 3/4 of my fish had pink flesh. They tasted amazing.

Jake,

Crickets are great bait....And browns do love them.....Try the Bridgeport area, if you have a chance.....Drifting cricket under the under cut banks can be great.....Most shops up there used to sell them.
What he said

I use to also put a split shot on and let it drift in & out of the fast water & deep pools.

Just came back from my yearly fishing trip to McGee Creek, very disappointing because it appears DFG hasn't stocked it (from what the local shops in Mammoth and Bishop told me). 5 fish in 5 days: muy malo... also because of the melt off there is a lot of white water and few eddies to fish. I did hear that Rock Creek and Convict Lake have recently been stocked. All in all, great to be up at 7000 ft. saw 3 Mulies and a high altitude Rattler. Oh yeah, I heard that quail had a second hatching in the Owens Valley o_O

Well,
that sucks....And what really sucks is we sportsman spend a lot of money that just goes into the general fund....At one time, there was hardly a stream in California that didn't get planted.

ps....No surprise about the rattler....The Owens Gorge and Rock Creek have always been popular for snakes.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu