eating yotes.

Sdhunt17

Dec 25, 2017
San Marcos
Eating coyote meat....

If you have, share how you have prepared it.

If not, tell me why you wouldn't.

Thank you for you opinions.

No one eats them really... give it a go and tell us how it went though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

haha funny you reference this. i just watched this and thats what made me ask the question.
i will personally try it and make some pulled pork or something,

but ill let you guys know.

Responding to your question of "why I wouldn't" eat one... the yotes I've seen close up just look pretty nasty and mangy, and who knows what they've been scavenging off of. I've also met a couple folks that have eaten actual dog meat in Asia and they didn't have great things to say, mostly that it was oddly greasy and smelled of dog. So I figure yote would be a similar experience, although if someone cooked and served it to me I'd give it a try. On a separate note though, a buddy of mine claims that mountain lion is one of the best game meats he's had, so I don't think it's just a predator thing.

Reactions: cookieman-1
Responding to your question of "why I wouldn't" eat one... the yotes I've seen close up just look pretty nasty and mangy, and who knows what they've been scavenging off of. I've also met a couple folks that have eaten actual dog meat in Asia and they didn't have great things to say, mostly that it was oddly greasy and smelled of dog. So I figure yote would be a similar experience, although if someone cooked and served it to me I'd give it a try. On a separate note though, a buddy of mine claims that mountain lion is one of the best game meats he's had, so I don't think it's just a predator thing.

interesting point. this will be my first season and just getting some questions answered.
you make a good point about mangy and nasty, i think if i were to drop a dog and it was in that condition then i would pass up on it.
with that being said ive heard bobcat is great to. so im just interested how coyote will taste.

thank you for your input. cant wait to get my hunter safety class out of the way this weekend.

interesting point. this will be my first season and just getting some questions answered.
you make a good point about mangy and nasty, i think if i were to drop a dog and it was in that condition then i would pass up on it.
with that being said ive heard bobcat is great to. so im just interested how coyote will taste.

thank you for your input. cant wait to get my hunter safety class out of the way this weekend.
What location are you taking it at???

I shoot them and then I eat the fawn they would have ate two fall later.
Any more I just throw them somewhere someone won’t find them like in a big bush.

Reactions: Jdub760
been scounting CNF both north and south.
Stop scouting and start calling. You have to call a lot and make a lot of mistakes to learn how to call coyotes.

If you see a spot that looks good, figure out the wind, make sure your not silhouetted and get the call going wether it be e caller or mout call.

Setup is probably 75% of the game when it comes to calling in dogs other then that if they are in the area they are either coming or not. There is some strategy with calling but just starting out just play the snot out of distress calls for about 10 minutes and then close with pup in distress for the last 3-5 minutes of your stand. I like to be on a stand around 15-20 minutes most of the time the dog is coming in the first 5-8minutes. Cover a lot of ground and make a lot of stands and you will call in a dog. Cats come in slower but you can’t shoot them right now.

Reactions: Sdhunt17
X2,
In addition coyote are really Wiley.
Must be stealty and quiet.
I have had luck with rabbit destress calls. Must be well concealed. Or well camo....

Last edited:
I’ve eaten rattlesnake, a rodent predator, but something about ‘yote makes me gag just thinking about it. Just a mental block. For all I know it’s delicious. Please post on how you like it.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu