Ebike + weapon. Motorized vehicle?

180ls1

Nov 2, 2020
Poway
Does anyone know how the law treats ebikes and riding with a firearm into a hunting area? Any other tangential info is appreciated.

I tried googling some of this but I keep running into ads and other stuff I dont trust.

Keep it unloaded and you should be fine. That is what I do. No problems to this point.

If the bike is 750w or less it is supposedly not a motorized vehicle...

Reactions: 180ls1
As far as I know the FS considers all ebikes motorized vehicles, they don’t really enforce it in most districts, but i feel better about pedaling anyways

Depends on the type of ebike and the area. Class 1 ebikes (pedal assist only up to 20mph) are starting to be allowed many places and even areas that they are not officially allowed yet most people turn a blind eye and don't care because they don't really look much different than a normal MTB at a quick glance. I believe throttled controlled only ebikes that go over 28 0r 30 are just considered motorcycles, maybe it's determined by watts as above. But yeah after a certain amount of speed or power it's just a motorcycle. You will still be allowed to get away with much more though as they are so much quieter and many look trimmed down compared to typical dirtbike.

I don’t think you can have any wheels in classified wilderness areas. Depends on the area.
Wilderness rules are stupid and antiquated. A wheel barrow would be against the rules. They need to rework some of the rules to allow maintenance in some of these places.

Depends on the type of ebike and the area. Class 1 ebikes (pedal assist only up to 20mph) are starting to be allowed many places and even areas that they are not officially allowed yet most people turn a blind eye and don't care because they don't really look much different than a normal MTB at a quick glance. I believe throttled controlled only ebikes that go over 28 0r 30 are just considered motorcycles, maybe it's determined by watts as above. But yeah after a certain amount of speed or power it's just a motorcycle. You will still be allowed to get away with much more though as they are so much quieter and many look trimmed down compared to typical dirtbike.
Cool. Yeah I am looking at your generic EMTB 250w one like all the mountain bike guys use that helps get up the steep parts. I dont need an electric motorcycle (segway) just a nice boost. Especially when my sea level cardio hits the elevation or quite frankly just getting a few miles in locally would be nice.

If your in Jackastan.. the rules are ambiguous for a reason..it's designed to hurt ..better of pedaling or going old school and walking. Uggh.

Reactions: Paul75_

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu