El Centro upland

Hale_Abels1

Oct 31, 2014
Going to El Centro next weekend, going to do be doing mostly upland hunting, maybe a little waterfowl, but just looking for some tips out there. Havent really found a specific spot that i really like to hunt out there, I kind of just drive around and find places that look good for dove and quail, but would really love to get a pheasant this year. Anyone have suggestions on where to go and try to snag a few pheasant, or what to really be looking for. Also wouldn't mind some insight on where has been good lately for dove.

**IF IT FLYS IT DIES**

Welcome to SCH..............You've asked some questions that probably won't get answered. The fact that your driving around says a lot about your desire to find game.......That desire will eventually find the birds you want......Pheasant like ditches, Sudan grass, & alfalfa in the valley. If your going to target them. Stay south of Brawley. Unfortunately, much of the best stuff is now posted.....You can and will find winter doves in many of the same areas. The Euros have been pretty much none existent lately in our traditional spots.

Good luck

awesome man thank you very much, Yeah most people don't like giving up their spots on forums, but thank you for your insight appreciate it

Driving and more driving is the only way to hunt the valley.......pheasants start with the basics look for tracks around ditches, get a pair of binos and glass the edge of the field/ditches and listen most of the time at sunrise they love to talk

MJB said:
Driving and more driving is the only way to hunt the valley.......pheasants start with the basics look for tracks around ditches, get a pair of binos and glass the edge of the field/ditches and listen most of the time at sunrise they love to talk

That talk is called a cackle.......Kind of s short screeching sound.

Here you go.......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcxdpvEnb0c

Welcome to SCH Hale_Abels1. Good luck in the valley. Be persistent and put in your time. It will pay off.

Not sure for pheasant although every time I talk to the border patrol guys they say try the New River even though it is really polluted. Perhaps brushy areas near the main canal North of the 98?
Can't tell you my dove spots unless I get a ride there, ;)

Suburban Adventuress said:
Awesome tips on the pheasants, thanks guys ... you have any recs for good binocs for the field? Also, do you pheasant hunt without a dog?
I have a pair of binocs but they are pretty basic, uncomfortable in fit, and they don't seem to give a good field view. Thx.
SA, there are some really good threads about binos on the forum... Too many to post as links (without knowing more about how you want to use your binos). But if you search "binos" you can read all the threads. Only takes a few minutes and well worth your time. Leica, Swarovski, Leupold and Vortex come up a lot with respect to quality of the glass. Go to a store where you can compare the glass side by side, and buy the best you can afford because if they are comfortable and don't cause eye fatigue you will own them forever. For example, my Leupold Mojave 12x50's are a little heavy, so in the future I may go to 8 or 10 x 42 for the binos I hang on my neck, but I'll always have the 12x50's in my pack or truck. Wide field of view, very bright and clear, and I can look through them all day with no eye fatigue. Besides being heavier in general, 12x can be too much mag if your hands shake without support.
Hope that helps.

Suburban Adventuress said:
Thx Bonejour... the timing's just right to check them all out and add one to my Christmas wish list ;)

SA,

If I was making that list. I think I'd have a pair of Vortex Diamondbacks in 10x42 on there......I use Swarovski EL 10 x 42's. And I'm not saying the Diamondbacks are in the same league. But for the money, they're damn good glass......And the guarantee and warranty are great......Merry Christmas.......lol

SA,

If I was making that list. I think I'd have a pair of Vortex Diamondbacks in 10x42 on there......I use Swarovski EL 10 x 42's. And I'm not saying the Diamondbacks are in the same league. But for the money, they're damn good glass......And the guarantee and warranty are great......Merry Christmas.......lol
[/quote]

Man the Swarovskis look nice! I put them on my list because I'm dreaming.
Def thinking the Diamondbacks and Leupolds are more in my realm of possibility though!

public service announcement.

Do not hunt the New River. I may joke that i duck hunt there all the time but its just that a joke.

From the Wiki for the new river- see link below

The New River’s flow is composed of waste from agricultural and chemical runoff from the farm industry irrigation in the U.S. (18.4%) and Mexico (51.2%), sewage from Mexicali (29%), and manufacturing plants operating in Mexico (1.4%). By the time the New River crosses the U.S./Mexico border near Calexico, California, the channel contains a stew of about 100 contaminants: volatile organic compounds, heavy metals (including selenium, uranium, arsenic and mercury), and pesticides (including DDT) and PCBs. The waterway also holds the pathogens that cause tuberculosis, encephalitis, polio, cholera, hepatitis and typhoid; levels for many of these contaminants are in violation of United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Cal/EPA standards by several hundredfold.[3] Fecal coliform bacteria are at levels of 100,000 to 16 million colonies per milliliter at the border checkpoint (possibly more, as this is the measuring capacity threshold), far above the U.S.-Mexico treaty limit of 240 colonies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_River_%28Mexico%E2%80%93United_States%29

the about text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License;

Aeon said:
public service announcement.

Do not hunt the New River. I may joke that i duck hunt there all the time but its just that a joke.

From the Wiki for the new river- see link below

The New River’s flow is composed of waste from agricultural and chemical runoff from the farm industry irrigation in the U.S. (18.4%) and Mexico (51.2%), sewage from Mexicali (29%), and manufacturing plants operating in Mexico (1.4%). By the time the New River crosses the U.S./Mexico border near Calexico, California, the channel contains a stew of about 100 contaminants: volatile organic compounds, heavy metals (including selenium, uranium, arsenic and mercury), and pesticides (including DDT) and PCBs. The waterway also holds the pathogens that cause tuberculosis, encephalitis, polio, cholera, hepatitis and typhoid; levels for many of these contaminants are in violation of United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Cal/EPA standards by several hundredfold.[3] Fecal coliform bacteria are at levels of 100,000 to 16 million colonies per milliliter at the border checkpoint (possibly more, as this is the measuring capacity threshold), far above the U.S.-Mexico treaty limit of 240 colonies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_River_%28Mexico%E2%80%93United_States%29

the about text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License;

Yea what AEON said!

So did somebody tell the ducks they shouldn't eat/drink there before they head to Wister?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu