El Nino

msteiger

Oct 16, 2012
San Diego
Is anyone thinking/worrying about El Nino? 'They' are predicting a hugely wet year; how will that affect our so cal seasons (say, I don't know, D16)?

I'm not worrying. If it's a wet year that's fine by me I see most of my deer right after it rains because I can afford to skip a few hours when it rains and go right out when it stops because my best spot is 5 minutes from my house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What if it doesn't stop raining for days or even weeks. It has happened before. Will you hunt in a downpour? Will that kind of weather impede deer activity?

msteiger said:
What if it doesn't stop raining for days or even weeks. It has happened before. Will you hunt in a downpour? Will that kind of weather impede deer activity?

Just like all animals (including humans)... Nothing wants to do much when the weather sucks. The less crappy the weather the better the animal activity. Saying that, if it were to rain for 40 days and 40 nights, animals have to move around for food eventually. Baring a flood of epic proportions, you should hunt the rain and stay hunkered down just like the animals. Hope for a small break in the weather and look for heightened activity. Nobody can predict what animals are going to do so all you can do is try. Can't kill from your couch as they say.

This is my first season hunting down here in SoCal, but I do know where I moved from ( WA state) some of the best deer hunting was on rainy days. Or like mentioned before, the second the rain stops for a little break, ya best be in your spot! I have some great rain gear so ill definitely be out during the down pours. Hell maybe that'll lighten my area up even from other hunters?

Hunt the breaks and protected canyons. If it snows a lot drop down lower there are winter grounds in SD but we don't always get snow so people forget about those areas.

I have had the best luck not during the rain but after it stops. deer come out to warm up and stretch their legs.
most of my kills have been after a break in the weather. yep I hunt in the rain, just where rain gear.
there is a lot more variables, and every one has their prospective terrain they hunt.

Ghost

El Nino?............I'll believe it when I see it........... ;)

As far as hunting deer in the rain.....I've shot at least 2 local deer in the rain, but that was when we had a good acorn crop and were in oak forests. Really has little to do with their feeding other than they tend to feed more during the day (good thing).....Rut activity tends to slow down some during the rain in my observations.

One bad thing about rain would be following a blood trail.....I pretty much wouldn't hunt with a bow under those conditions (haven't had to worry about that lately)....2 cents

ilovesprig said:
El Nino?............I'll believe it when I see it........... ;)

As far as hunting deer in the rain.....I've shot at least 2 local deer in the rain, but that was when we had a good acorn crop and were in oak forests. Really has little to do with their feeding other than they tend to feed more during the day (good thing).....Rut activity tends to slow down some during the rain in my observations.

One bad thing about rain would be following a blood trail.....I pretty much wouldn't hunt with a bow under those conditions (haven't had to worry about that lately)....2 cents

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu