Every Predator but deer

brad nsw

Oct 24, 2015
Finally got out for 4 nights. Lots of fresh deer tracks so was expecting good action but nothing but predators

Night 1 - Coyotes yipping all night.
Day 2 - Roadrunner walked to within 20 yds
Day 3 - Bobcat sat on a rock 35yds away for a 1/2 hour at sunrise. Then around 8AM a red-tail hawk landed on a branch 2ft above my head (either thought I was dead or I've got really good camo!). Scared the heck out of me. Around 8:30, saw a fox with a bad limp on his right rear leg.
Day 4 - Just after sunrise, a mountain lion walked through a gap in the manzanita about 200 yds away.

Let's hope they all move on to other valleys and the deer return/settle down. Will be back out next Thur-Mon. Gotta believe the lion has a big roaming range and is long gone. The fox/bobcat are probably local to the valley and don't push the deer too far. Coyotes are always crusiing

That’s a lot of wildlife. They must be hanging out in that area for a reason, right?

Deer are super skittish and nocturnal right now on public. I hiked in 4 miles to a valley that I always see deer in. We glassed from sunrise to sunset and didn’t even see a doe. I would have bet you money we would have seen a buck. They are feeling the pressure for sure. Stay after them one will make a mistake.

Yeah, fresh tracks on top of my prints hiking from in day one when I hiked out day 4. Must be moving at night and maybe bucks have the does locked down. All I need is one to get tired of his gal and go look for another one.

Black buck from last year is still a mystery to me. Weirdest thing I've ever seen.

Headed out tonight for 4 more days with fingers crossed and glad it's gonna be a bit cooler!!

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu