Every Predator but deer

brad nsw

Finally got out for 4 nights. Lots of fresh deer tracks so was expecting good action but nothing but predators

Night 1 - Coyotes yipping all night.
Day 2 - Roadrunner walked to within 20 yds
Day 3 - Bobcat sat on a rock 35yds away for a 1/2 hour at sunrise. Then around 8AM a red-tail hawk landed on a branch 2ft above my head (either thought I was dead or I've got really good camo!). Scared the heck out of me. Around 8:30, saw a fox with a bad limp on his right rear leg.
Day 4 - Just after sunrise, a mountain lion walked through a gap in the manzanita about 200 yds away.

Let's hope they all move on to other valleys and the deer return/settle down. Will be back out next Thur-Mon. Gotta believe the lion has a big roaming range and is long gone. The fox/bobcat are probably local to the valley and don't push the deer too far. Coyotes are always crusiing

Brad,

Assuming you're hunting where I think you are, you'll find a good one soon. Whatever happened to that black buck?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Deer are super skittish and nocturnal right now on public. I hiked in 4 miles to a valley that I always see deer in. We glassed from sunrise to sunset and didn’t even see a doe. I would have bet you money we would have seen a buck. They are feeling the pressure for sure. Stay after them one will make a mistake.

Yeah, fresh tracks on top of my prints hiking from in day one when I hiked out day 4. Must be moving at night and maybe bucks have the does locked down. All I need is one to get tired of his gal and go look for another one.

Black buck from last year is still a mystery to me. Weirdest thing I've ever seen.

Headed out tonight for 4 more days with fingers crossed and glad it's gonna be a bit cooler!!

Back