Excessive Freebore?

Did you call Hornady about the jump?

Bill, I know superformance powder & the factory ammo are two different animals but always good to clearify for new loaders. Don't know why they named the factory loads that a few years back they had the "Custom" line of factory ammo the 270 reached the specs of the 06 that was hotter than what they have now but it shot like crap for me

One thing you need to figure out on your loads, Is what the true velocity your putting out & if they are consistent. Most of my loads will be off by of what the load data show's. That FPS will affect your bullet drop at a distance & your impact energy. Group accuracy is fine & dandy in a competition and so you know you can be consistent, But for a hunting load you need to really pay attention to where that fist round hits with a cold clean barrel, & can you repeat that same shot after letting your barrel cool. Most times your only taking 1 shot. From your pictures, your good to go.

I use a dirty barrel never clean for hunting after your first shot it's dirty and if you need a second shot better hope it has the same poi.......cold barrel is a must for sighting in

Ya i plan on contacting Hornady this week. And i try to brush my barrel with a nylon brush after every range trip then a couple dry patches just to keep it consistent and after about 60 rounds + ill do a defowling and carbon clean out The pictures posted were the day after a deep clean tho. And my cold bore tracking seems to be about half inch low but not to sure since i been changing seating depths and haven't shot one load consistently

honestly I may be way off here but. If the groupings are decent. then save the the testing for off season.
I mean my factory ammo is not the best but it is consistent.
I use to use the silver tip made by Winchester for years and it got the job done. back then I did not know jack about ballistics.
but I what I did do is I practice at different distance, 25 yards, 50 yards 100 yards, 300 yards.

Ghost

MJB said:
I use a dirty barrel never clean for hunting after your first shot it's dirty and if you need a second shot better hope it has the same poi.......cold barrel is a must for sighting in
Agreed

Honestly all your help had been priceless I hope I get the chance to run into y'all sometime! Put some feces to names !!!! Man all this help just makes me look forward to every opener coming !!! Are you guys hunting D16?

Aeon said:
Something is off here 2.85 to 2.67 is a massive change. When making changes take tiny steps. I'm talking about hundredths and thousandths of a inch not tenths. Are you sure you are using the gauge correctly?

FYI Superformance powder has nothing to do with the Superformance powder used in the factory ammo.

x2 you would be surprised what a small change will do. My experience is the hottest loads are never the best loads even though my ego wants them to be. Reloading is fun it is all about what shoots best out of your gun.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu