Excessive Freebore?

ilovesprig said:
Hit 'em high, watch 'em die............Hit 'em low, watch 'em go............. ;D

Is this a real thing?
So wouldn't this mean a shoulder shot?

Those bullets look like ninja blender for sure (love mine)

I really wanna do a bear hunt through Giant Sequoia Guide Service :'(

I agree with everything NBK has posted on this thread. There are many good bullets out on the market but the most important part of the equation is placement. I also think neck, spine and head shots are less than ideal because if you are off just a bit it can result in a runaway lost animal. I shoot both Noslers and Barnes and have no qualms about either in getting the job done but you have to put them in the right place. I also agree that behind the shoulder is the best spot because it gives you the largest area that is lethal. Field shooting is not like shooting off a bench rest steadiness, wind, angle and movement of the animal all play a factor, because of this I always try for the largest lethal part of an animals anatomy.

P.S. Sorry to contribute to the thread jack so I'll chime in on the initial question, don't worry about seating depth unless it contributes to safety, function or reliability issues. I have several long guns that I seat bullets way out to get the accuracy I want. Usually its magazine length that limits my aspirations

Thank you guys a ton for all the info! This is a great forum and is full of help.

So this happened !!!
129gr hornady sst 6.5 creedmoor
O.A.L. 2.67 (manual suggestion)
45 gr of superformance
Manual says 2850ish

Nine shot group in the lung target (best shooting I have ever done/could not believe it)
Target above lung target is a five shot group and other groups are three shot groups

Attachments

• IMG_1662.JPG
    IMG_1662.JPG
    976 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1627.jpg
    IMG_1627.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1628.jpg
    IMG_1628.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 11
Noob Question: for JDrivsd619

Have you experience any excessive cartridge expansion. any evidence of over yielding of the brass?
does the the cartridge seat snug in the chamber. it does not seem to be affecting accuracy.
exactly what should it be . all my manufactured ammo seemed to fit snug.

previous question & answers are very good ones.

Ghost

Load development is hard work. Ammo you get at the store is loaded to what they think is the average gun from all the makers. Reloading data is the same. They base their data on what the exact cartridge should be.

The devil is in the details.

Was your gun made exactly to spec? Assume no it wasn't and start load development.

Mesuring over all length is mandatory, in many cases this can dictate what bullet you can shoot with the bullet at optimum seating depth. Eg. If your lands are closed to the chamber you can only use lighter bullets and inversely if they are cut farther away a light bullet will have to jump to far,

Powder choice is a whole book on its own. Testing will tell you what works and what really works. Not uncommon to use 5 or more powders in figuring your gun out.

Primers and cases are another variable, in my little AR Hornady cases hold one gr less powder than the ssa or federal do.

What does it all mean? You can do nothing but load a low level by the book reload and struggle to beat factory ammo. Or you can drink the Coolaid and dive in. Take your one inch gun and find out if it's a 1/4" gun or maybe even the mysterious one ragged hole 5 shot group

And don't forget factory loads have powders we can't get so their performance is always going to be different. You really see this with the Superformace factory loads from Hordnay they are hard on the shoulder in non magnum cartridges

Aeon said:
Load development is hard work. Ammo you get at the store is loaded to what they think is the average gun from all the makers. Reloading data is the same. They base their data on what the exact cartridge should be.

The devil is in the details.

Was your gun made exactly to spec? Assume no it wasn't and start load development.

Mesuring over all length is mandatory, in many cases this can dictate what bullet you can shoot with the bullet at optimum seating depth. Eg. If your lands are closed to the chamber you can only use lighter bullets and inversely if they are cut farther away a light bullet will have to jump to far,

Powder choice is a whole book on its own. Testing will tell you what works and what really works. Not uncommon to use 5 or more powders in figuring your gun out.

Primers and cases are another variable, in my little AR Hornady cases hold one gr less powder than the ssa or federal do.

What does it all mean? You can do nothing but load a low level by the book reload and struggle to beat factory ammo. Or you can drink the Coolaid and dive in. Take your one inch gun and find out if it's a 1/4" gun or maybe even the mysterious one ragged hole 5 shot group

Hi Bill

thanks for the answer
" is the gun manufactured to spec"

that's the factor right. in a perfect world.
when reloaded how far can one push it. right.

Ghost

MJB said:
And don't forget factory loads have powders we can't get so their performance is always going to be different. You really see this with the Superformace factory loads from Hordnay they are hard on the shoulder in non magnum cartridges

Good point Mark

Ghost

Ghost said:
Noob Question: for JDrivsd619

Have you experience any excessive cartridge expansion. any evidence of over yielding of the brass?
does the the cartridge seat snug in the chamber. it does not seem to be affecting accuracy.
exactly what should it be . all my manufactured ammo seemed to fit snug.

previous question & answers are very good ones.

Ghost

Ghost I have been experiencing cartridge expansion but only with cartridges that i have fired three times or so and i used to use a balance instead of a digit scale to weigh my loads and i found out that the balance was an entire grain off so i think that over charging or multiple uses causes the case to expand and for me it made my bolt lift and close very hard !!! i trashed that brass

Im new to reloading so i could be totally wrong in my idea I'm sure others can give you a better explanation

Also MJB I really just want to make sure I'm reloading safely and not making an alb bomb
I want click bang, not click boom

Range update:
Tonight i used the same charge 43gr of superformance and 129gr sst
i shot OAL at 2.85, 2.83, and 2.81 used .020 jumps and lost accuracy ......

The shorter 2.67 OAL load shot much much better for me

This weekend I'm going to try the 140 gr sst and see if i can shoot better

Why change a good thing?

Like Bill said powders are a entire nother variable and that may be why you don't have tighter groups but damn those look good I'd be good to go. Now if your shooting cooper you could get tighter groups but for hunting it's splitting hairs.

Something is off here 2.85 to 2.67 is a massive change. When making changes take tiny steps. I'm talking about hundredths and thousandths of a inch not tenths. Are you sure you are using the gauge correctly?

FYI Superformance powder has nothing to do with the Superformance powder used in the factory ammo.

Where did you get the load data from?

Factory loads are loaded to SAMI spec. No magic there.

Hornady is using double base powders to get that extra 100 fps from there Superformance line of ammo.

Aeon said:
Where did you get the load data from?

All load data is from the Hornady manual I loaded some rounds to the maximum O.A.L for the 129gr sst according to the manual and i shot those the other day and was punching some great holes (see previous pics)

Then i got the Hornady OAL gauge and the 129gr sst didn't touch the lands until 2.87

So from research i found that a .020 jump is a good place to start and work from so that was my ideology

I had great groups with the 2.67 load and so far the closer i have gotten to the lands i have lost accuracy

But i know that i have a dead nuts load ready for the season... so I'm just trying to split hairs and shoot my gun and see if i can get any more out of it :)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu