Fair Chase

Nicholas909

Suns out, Guns Out
Sep 1, 2014
Yucaipa
So I've been reading the post from the Long Range rifles forum & it popped into my head "Fair Chase" . I remembered reading a quick article from David Petzal on the line between hunting & long range shooting. Also here is how Boone and Crockett club defines fair chase.
FAIR CHASE STATEMENT
FAIR CHASE, as defined by the Boone and Crockett Club, is the ethical, sportsmanlike, and lawful pursuit and taking of any free-ranging wild, native North American big game animal in a manner that does not give the hunter an improper advantage over such animals.
HUNTER ETHICS
Fundamental to all hunting is the concept of conservation of natural resources. Hunting in today's world involves the regulated harvest of individual animals in a manner that conserves, protects, and perpetuates the hunted population. The hunter engages in a one-to-one relationship with the quarry and his or her hunting should be guided by a hierarchy of ethics related to hunting, which includes the following tenets:
1. Obey all applicable laws and regulations.
2. Respect the customs of the locale where the hunting occurs.
3. Exercise a personal code of behavior that reflects favorably on your abilities and sensibilities as a hunter.
4. Attain and maintain the skills necessary to make the kill as certain and quick as possible.
5. Behave in a way that will bring no dishonor to either the hunter, the hunted, or the environment.
6. Recognize that these tenets are intended to enhance the hunter's experience of the relationship between predator and prey, which is one of the most fundamental relationships of humans and their environment.

Now don't get me wrong. I love precision shooting & long range shooting. You'll never catch me throwing lead down range without a reason. Now With all the practice I do, I know I can shoot 600 yards with accuracy, But i still limit myself while I'm out hunting. I would rather let the animal walk away than take a chance of letting it suffer from a mistake.

What is everyone Else's op pinon on this topic?

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/the-gun-nuts/the-line-between-hunting-and-long-range-shooting

Nicholas909 said:
Breacher said:
B&C's stance on longe range hunting is rediculous.

Why?

In reference to B&C's Fair Chase Statement, do you use binoculars, range finders, game cameras, scent eliminators, camo, tree stands, ground blinds etc....? Could these be considered an "unfair" advantage? Do you have a scope on your gun? Why not use iron sites?

What about hunting a ranch such as BHCR? You know, one with fences where the animals can't get out.... ;)

As far as long range goes, who the hell is B&C to criticize? I don't even rifle hunt anymore but I have buddies that practice the long range shooting. They spend equally, if not more time behind their rifle than I do with my bow. Its a skill. If you're good enough to kill an animal at 600, 700.....why not? Because B&C says you shouldn't? ::)

As long as it's legal, don't criticize one method of hunting just because it doesn't appeal to you.

Well I read both articles and didn't see anywhere B&C were bagging on long distance hunting. the only thing I read is B&Cs layout to fair chase. If you read who wrote the article in F&S mag it was David Petzal. There is a lot of interest in long range shooting, I my self am getting in to it more. That said, YES it is a skill, a Shooting skill NOT a hunting skill. When B&C wrote there fair chase ethics it was at the turn of the century a time when technology wasn't even close to what it is today, so all of todays gadgets and tools to get an advantage over the animal weren't even available. I personally strive to out wit my quarry and that means getting close as close as possible, its no easy feat to get in close to a deer they live there lives on alert, we just do on the weekends. To me that is fair chase.

Legality is not the determination of ethics. While it is certainly true that I DO NOT want more laws to restrict how hunting is performed, the law is not enough to determine fair chase. We all encourage people to practice with their weapons and scout the area ahead of time, to pay attention to what's behind the target animal, and to use the most lethal means we feel comfortable carrying in the field. Rightfully, the law will often leave these issues up to the hunter's decision to act according to his or her ethics.
I staunchly reserve the right to disagree with irresponsible methods, whether or not they break the laws of this country, state, or county. It is we hunters' place to police our own ranks and encourage that we follow the highest hunting code, and I hope to leave legislators out of that process.
That being said, I've hunted in in other states, using methods which are illegal in California. I've baited bears and used a pile of snowshoe hares to bait them, which I shot with a .22 on my way to the bait sites. These actions are ethical based on the biology of the ecosystems in question, or based where you draw your own personal line in the sand. Sometimes the law keeps up with sustainable management methods, but we always have to make our own decisions.
Whether or not the law is involved, I'd tell anyone that they should never test their accuracy on a live animal. If they've practiced beforehand and are 100% sure of their shot, carry on.
Of course, as intelligent humans, we all have more thoughts on this subject. These are just a few of my ramblings.

Hmmmm...

Long range shots take incredible skill and in most cases the animal has the advantage. Like Breacher said, a marksman is a marksman due to immense practice and specific physical conditioning. Being an ethical hunter is not based on the tool or method they use, it is based on the craft they master and their humane intent.

Botched shots come from all disciplines at any distance (Bow & Gun). And unfortunately even the most skilled make a mistake (we are human). Recklessly hunting without mastering your weapon coupled with the lack of compassion for your quarry is the definition of unethical.

Being able to stalk an animal to a few feet away is no more of a skillset than making a consistent and ethical shot on game at 800 yards. It all takes practice and it all falls in the realm of hunting. Getting yourself around game and humanely dispatching and recovery the quarry is what its all about.

I don't know much, but to me this is a no brainer! :p

Tough to have any one answer on this......And kind of apropos for today youth turkey hunts.

My hunter had a gobbler at 53.5 yds and I had him pass on the shot.....He was shooting a 20 gauge with full choke and ounce & a quarter #5's.

One of the other mentors had his hunter take a shot at 55.6 yds with the same exact shell and gun.......He knocked down a beautiful gobbler and recovered it.

I can tell you, I've never shot a turkey at that distance.....Who was right?

Another youth hunter shot a bearded hen.....I would not have allowed my hunter to shoot one.....Legal bird, but they do lay eggs and have poults this time of year......Again who is right?

Probably no right or wrong answer.....Just what you feel is right for you (and what you practice) for the game you pursue.

Knowing your limitations is part of being ethical and part of fair chase IMO.......2 cents

All valid points. Good thread. Sometimes a long shot is all you're gonna get. If you've put in the time to practice, have a good rest and good conditions, and know the bullet will have the retained energy to do the job if you deliver it on target, maybe you'll take the shot; and maybe not. Whether you take it or pass, or try to stalk closer, it's part of the hunt and the story makes for a great report.

I've read quite a few articles over the past few years about long range hunting and fair Chase, & I know there's no right or wrong answer to it. I just like getting other opinions on the topic. So far there's been some very good points made.

I will never do it on a big game animal. It takes the hunt out of it in my opinion. Varments i think it would be awesome.

NBK said:
Hmmmm...

Long range shots take incredible skill and in most cases the animal has the advantage. Like Breacher said, a marksman is a marksman due to immense practice and specific physical conditioning. Being an ethical hunter is not based on the tool or method they use, it is based on the craft they master and their humane intent.

Botched shots come from all disciplines at any distance (Bow & Gun). And unfortunately even the most skilled make a mistake (we are human). Recklessly hunting without mastering your weapon coupled with the lack of compassion for your quarry is the definition of unethical.

Being able to stalk and animal to a few feet away is no more of a skillset than making a consistent and ethical shot on game at 800 yards. It all takes practice and it all falls in the realm of hunting. Getting yourself around game and humanely dispatching and recovery the quarry is what its all about.

I don't know much, but to me this is a no brainer! :p
X-2, That is large and the small of it. After reading NBK's response and thinking about it, there is no other way to see it.

A humane harvest is the key. If you don't know you can do it then don't. If you KNOW you can then I don't have a problem with it.

It is a question of honesty with yourself. If you deem that animal worthy then please don't make it suffer.

Wow, don't know how I missed this one when it posted. I'm with Breacher and NBK on this one, it's what you make it. It's important also that all hunters no matter their method of pursuit stand together.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu