Fall turkey

Chemfree Ron,
The NWTF San Diego Chapter recommends to refrain from hunting Turkeys during the Fall season in the San Diego Area.
If you still want to go, then go after Toms only. The regulations allow you to hunt either sex but for the health of our turkey population we strongly suggest to avoid shooting hens at all cost.

Reactions: MAG 1
Just make sure you only shoot hens. Turkey numbers are at record highs and now that we can’t shoot bobcats we need to do our part.
Drew,
Where is that?
is it outside of San Diego?
I have seen hundreds of them in northern Cali, I don't know what the recommendations are up there.

Just make sure you only shoot hens. Turkey numbers are at record highs and now that we can’t shoot bobcats we need to do our part.
Not sure where that info comes from, but in San Diego that is not true. Are population is just now starting to rebound we need another good rainy season for it to even get close to what it once was.

Not sure where that info comes from, but in San Diego that is not true. Are population is just now starting to rebound we need another good rainy season for it to even get close to what it once was.
PROBABLY JUST A TYPO .. he prob meant lows

The numbers are nothing like they were ten years ago. I used see several hundred a day on my property and now its a good day when you see a dozen or so. We need several more good wet winters with good hatches to get them back on the road to a good recovery. Sometimes even when its legal it may not be the best thing to do.

Reactions: YETI and sportyg
Are you guys sure that Satan Newsom hasn't signed a bill outlawing turkey hunting? He is against fur so maybe he is against feathers too..... LMAO

Since I’m new to turkeys. What’s the reason behind not shooting them in the fall
Turkey numbers are down due to really bad drought and they haven’t bounced back anywhere near historic highs we had a decade ago. Turkeys are non native so if we lose them CA will never bring them back. Even though it is legal to fall turkey hunt for hens it is frowned upon umongst most serious sportsman in so cal. There are a lot of other game opportunities in so cal to pursue in the fall.
My suggestion would be go after quail, dove, rabbit, pheasant, and waterfowl. Again if you are out quail hunting and a Tom stands up shoot him I see nothing wrong with it. Problem with shooting hens is our population relies on the hens.

I'll be honest, fall turkey hunting isn't all that fun really.. I'd much rather be chasing all the other game that's open at the same time. You don't get the hot gobbling, strutting, and calling action of the spring season. Fall turkeys are more of a spot and stalk, or ambush deal which isn't appealing. Unless you're one of those guys who knows how to run dogs at them then call them back, but I haven't heard of anyone around here doing that. Plus the off chance of killing hens...

Since I’m new to turkeys. What’s the reason behind not shooting them in the fall

Ron,

Hunting fall turkeys in San Diego used be outlawed (the only county in California that had this law)...Then turkeys were transplanted from mostly Kansas to SoCal (San Berdo & San Diego counties) in 1993...The no fall hunting in San Diego continued for several more years...San Bernardino Co. did not have this law and after a few years, the turkeys were gone...While the San Diego original 289 birds did great...Like has been mentioned, the population peaked about 8-10 years ago...At about this time, DFW took off the no fall hunting in San Diego Co. status...It also coincided with a prolonged drought...Our turkey numbers dropped dramatically (we probably have less than 25% of the birds we once had).

NWTF has a Spring Turkey Tune-Up at Lake Sutherland...We have a drawing for hunts on the City of San Diego property...We also used to have a fall hunt...We discontinued that for the betterment of our turkey population.

Is it LEGAL to shoot a turkey in the fall?...Yes, it is...But, if we ever lose our turkeys, we will never have turkey hunting again...DFW has quit transplanting birds after being sued by the Bug Society and the Plant Society...Truth be known, people that work for this wonderful state don't want them here because of their non-native status.

If you live in San Diego Co...I suggest you attend a NWTF meeting (next Tuesday, Oct. 22nd)...If you don't live in the county or it's too far...Try to attend out turkey tune-up (Feb. 22nd)...We will try to help you the best we can, so you can shoot a spring gobbler.

Thank you for understanding that we must police ourselves...Lord knows, DFW isn't doing it.

Ok I understand now. My thing is I’m a high school baseball coach so I really only have the fall to hunt since every spring I’m right in the middle of baseball season. I go out of state for big game this time of year and I spend almost every weekend in Jan hunting ducks in Mendota. I was looking for some turkeys in SoCal. I guess I will make the trip up north to Chico. Childhood friend owns farm land up there and hunt turkey there. Thanks for all the input! Much appreciated

Ron,

Where do you coach?...I'm from Long Beach and played at Jordan high, LBCC, and USC...My nephew was ROTY for Oakland (Bobby Crosby) and his brother Blake is the head of scouting (west) for the Toronto Blue Jays...Still love baseball.

My parents live just down the street in Cypress...My nephews went to La Quinta...Good luck next season.

Back in my day....Cerritos vs Long Beach City was a huge rivalry...The 60's & 70's were a great baseball era.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu