Favorite rifle

KoozeDeer

Jul 18, 2016
Howdy fellas, let’s share our favorite rifle. It can be a rifle you own or something you have always wanted. Either for its beauty, or fond memory, or maybe it’s just a good shooter.
I’ll go first, my favorite rifle is a Ruger #1 chambered in 218 Bee

Last edited:
Wow - confusing question. One I have to put some thought into this. I like and have had many that fill the bill.

Four rifles come into this- 1975 era Remington 700 bdl 25-06 ( still have it with a Leupold 3-9 vx-2) I stomped everything with it big and small. yotes to elk and I I still have it. My first rifle was a 700 adl in 222 Remington era 1974 (still have it too), put a lot of yotes and vermin to sleep with that when I paid for it on my own dime as a paper boy (remember that?) my folks did the paper work when I was twelve to have it. The one that holds my heart now is a 7 mag stainless model 70 that I purchased from NBK years ago when he mistakenly decidedly thought he did not need it. It just does not miss when I do my job as well as 338 win mag that he shared with me on our first elk hunt many years ago. I up graded both with Lone Wolf stocks since then. None of these will ever leave my possesion while I am alive. Some stuff is worth more than money and always work....

I love my Savage 114 in 30.06, but a couple years ago I shot my buddy’s Tikka T-3 300win mag, and that was a really nice shooter.

My favorite rifle is my Ruger Hawkeye Hunter in 300 Win Mag with a Swarovski Z5i 5-25x52. I got it last year for my elk hunt, and I hope I drop a buck with it this year. A close second is my Savage in 243 Win. I got it five years ago for a youth hunt in Kansas. So far It's shot a whitetail and a state record ground squirrel in D15 at about 30 yards!

Last edited:
Favorite two right now are my PRS gun in 6.5cm. Stiller TAC30 action, Proof carbon fiber barrel, triggertech diamond, MDT LSSXL chassis, and ZCO 5-27 scope.
image_1350.jpg
And my Masterpiece arms 300 win mag. Stiller TAC300 action, MPA barrel, MPA comp chassis, Leupold Mark 5hd
20200628_111054.jpg

Favorite two right now are my PRS gun in 6.5cm. Stiller TAC30 action, Proof carbon fiber barrel, triggertech diamond, MDT LSSXL chassis, and ZCO 5-27 scope.
View attachment 48344
And my Masterpiece arms 300 win mag. Stiller TAC300 action, MPA barrel, MPA comp chassis, Leupold Mark 5hd
View attachment 48345
Question, on the creedmoor. I mean no disrespect with the question I just don’t understand. Why do I see fellas run a carbon barrel on a match gun, weight is not an issue. Additionally guys are adding weight to the chassis?

Question, on the creedmoor. I mean no disrespect with the question I just don’t understand. Why do I see fellas run a carbon barrel on a match gun, weight is not an issue. Additionally guys are adding weight to the chassis?
To be honest getting the rife with a carbon barrel was a bad idea but it was my first PRS gun and I didn't know any better. I piled a bunch of weight out front to try and get it to balance properly. I am currently putting parts together for a new competition gun and its going to have a heavy stainless barrel. There's a push for a lightweight hunter class in prs so the carbon barrels will probably be popular for that.

As far as adding weight it is done to balance the rifle to be neutral in front of the magwell to support on baracades. The extra weight also reduces recoil to help with follow-up shots.

Yea I understand the reason to add the weight. It was the carbon that’s a moot point on a heavy gun.

You took a ground squirrel with a 243?? Was there anything left of it?
He was a fat one! It fell off the bush it was sitting on and it had a big hole in it with steam coming out, its nerves twitched a little. I was shooting 100 grain Sierra Gamekings just before the stupid lead ban.

Got one more I'll never get rid of, Ruger #1 in 220 swift era 1970's. Always wanted a swift because it was the fastest at that time. Got it from a guy named Andy Comer who was retired marine that at one point managed Duncans range in Rainbow and later the Pala range. It shot pretty good when he sold it to me and then I hung at that time the biggest scope Leupold built a 6.5 X 24 and built loads for it. It was ok but it became a safe queen until 2006 when I moved up into the back hills of San Diego county and found squirrels on my property that I could shoot at four hundred yards. I went to work on it and free floated the barrel and reworked the trigger and then worked through lots of loads and finally found one that would spank a squirrel at that range no problem. It's a specialized tool and heavy (bull barrel) but given the right circumstance's it does better than any other long range vermin shooter I have had to date.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu