Fear the Hammer

I don't acticvely hunt them but I do keep a rifle chambered in 223 at my ranch next to the door where I can survey most of my proprety. My go to is hand load Barnes varmint grenades. Never had one take another step once hit .
Hey Fred. What’s your recipe? I just prepped 600 223 cases and have 50 gr VG’s to top them with. I’m thinking I’d start with about 25.5 of H335 and work up. 26.2 should be the sweet spot.

Hey Fred. What’s your recipe? I just prepped 600 223 cases and have 50 gr VG’s to top them with. I’m thinking I’d start with about 25.5 of H335 and work up. 26.2 should be the sweet spot.

Hey Darryl. Yea I,m using 5.56 cases given to me years ago in large numbers. I'm not too scientific when it comes to this kind load. I'll check my stat's and let you know. Most the time I'm spanking them at a couple hundred yards off the porch up here so I'm not worrying about exact bullet placement because varmint grenades make such a mess of anything they hit. I don't care if they crawl into the bushes and die....

I love hammers. They have worked very well for me the last two years.

I bought some to load up in my 300 WM. Should shoot nice and flat!!!
You have an infatuation with speed lol. Load them up let’s go coyote hunting should be spectacular. Love to see one of those in a frontal coyote shot.

Last edited:
The 6WOA is good coyote medicine, i know a guy who knows a guy with one :)

Reactions: NBK
You have an infatuation with speed lol. Load them up let’s go coyote hunting should be spectacular. Love to see one of those in a frontal coyote shot.

Love it!!! I was talking to a guy in Australia earlier this year about bullet stability / twist rates. He pushed that 124 gr HH out of a 300 RUM (over 4000 fps) and got end to end penetration on a buffalo (sub 100y).

Since we have to use copper out here, I am going to make them work their best and drag race them.

Reactions: TRICER
This guy sure doesn’t like hammers! Not sure why all the hate. Thoughts?

They talk about this a lot on the hammer forums. Big picture is that he blocks those guys from asking question on youtube channel and will not answer so we do not have enough information.

Most likely he is not stabilizing the bullet with enough twist rate which causes the exact issue he saw.

I just returned from the B2 zone where I scored on a huge 3x2. It was a broadside 60-yard shot, mid-chest, right behind the shoulder. The load was a 308 Winchester with a 124-grain HH pushed with 46.2 grain of Varget to 2,996 f/s. It was zeroed at 210 yards and gives 1/4" groups. The 210 zero gives me a 2" MPBR of 250 yards. The bullet just disintegrated the lungs! It was a massive display of destruction. After seeing what this bullet does when it hits, I will be damn sure to NOT make a shoulder shot in the future. You will lose the entire far-side shoulder if you do. One of the group, also shooting a Hammer, took a quartering frontal shot and lost almost all of one shoulder. This bullet may be too destructive, but I'm still using it. I'm just going to be very careful of shot placement.

Reactions: 180ls1 and TRICER
I just returned from the B2 zone where I scored on a huge 3x2. It was a broadside 60-yard shot, mid-chest, right behind the shoulder. The load was a 308 Winchester with a 124-grain HH pushed with 46.2 grain of Varget to 2,996 f/s. It was zeroed at 210 yards and gives 1/4" groups. The 210 zero gives me a 2" MPBR of 250 yards. The bullet just disintegrated the lungs! It was a massive display of destruction. After seeing what this bullet does when it hits, I will be damn sure to NOT make a shoulder shot in the future. You will lose the entire far-side shoulder if you do. One of the group, also shooting a Hammer, took a quartering frontal shot and lost almost all of one shoulder. This bullet may be too destructive, but I'm still using it. I'm just going to be very careful of shot placement.
Congrats and good insight. Any pass through?

This will be my first year running them @JakeSCH helped me load some up for the 6.5ManBunImproved (PRC) and the 124's are at 3390 with a 23" barrel.

Reactions: JakeSCH

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu