Fi

B

beeaav

My father and I will be going out to el centro dove hunting for the first time. He used to go when he was a kid and this will be my first time. I've done some research and know the distinct qualities of the legal birds to shoot while we are there. However, I am curious to see if anybody has a certain trick to help them identify the birds. Also, any tips for a first time dove hunter in el centro? Not too concerned about limiting out just looking forward to spending the morning with my dad and getting my feet wet in bird hunting. Thanks in advance for the info

Look at the way they flying. The wing beat, shape, how they glide... they fly straight and don't dive,...
Doves on electric lines are very easy to identify so if you spot doves on electric line, throw rock at them and watch how they fly. You can learn a lot from this.

Euros have a slower wing flap than mournings, and are larger. Don't shoot tweeties, the white fast flying birds in tight flocks, or mocking birds. Look at videos on you tube of doves. You should be able to see mournings flying pretty much anywhere you live in socal, watch them to get an idea. Same with pigeons. Do you know exactly where you are going? When are you going? Also you need a license and an upland game stamp. Check to make sure where you are hunting is not posted no hunting. Don't shoot within 50 yards of a road and 150 yards of a dwelling.

sent using the FORCE with a JEDI MIND TRICK

Mourning, white-wing, & Euros.......No Mexican ground doves.....They're very very small.

Attachments

• IMG_4061.JPG
    IMG_4061.JPG
    705.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    698.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_8633.JPG
    IMG_8633.JPG
    627.1 KB · Views: 46
ilovesprig said:
Mourning, white-wing, & Euros.......No Mexican ground doves.....They're very very small.
thanks for the advice got a couple today and learned a lot!

MasterBlaster66T said:
Euros have a slower wing flap than mournings, and are larger. Don't shoot tweeties, the white fast flying birds in tight flocks, or mocking birds. Look at videos on you tube of doves. You should be able to see mournings flying pretty much anywhere you live in socal, watch them to get an idea. Same with pigeons. Do you know exactly where you are going? When are you going? Also you need a license and an upland game stamp. Check to make sure where you are hunting is not posted no hunting. Don't shoot within 50 yards of a road and 150 yards of a dwelling.

i appreciate the reply thank you it helped a lot!

Almasy said:
Look at the way they flying. The wing beat, shape, how they glide... they fly straight and don't dive,...
Doves on electric lines are very easy to identify so if you spot doves on electric line, throw rock at them and watch how they fly. You can learn a lot from this.

Where does one find these straight-flying dove? ;)

I'm gonna cry now :'(
Went to IV twice, 1000 miles drive total, sunrise to sunset, got three doves total :'(
Hide and shoot doesn't work. They fly too high. Try to walk and see tons of them on the ground but can't get close, they fly away when I was about 100 yards from them.

I wonder how the hell other people can get limit in one hour...

Or anyone willing to take me to hunt? I really need to learn more. I will drive pay for gas, I will pick up your trash, I will be your slave....

Almasy said:
Went to IV twice, 1000 miles drive total, sunrise to sunset, got three doves total :'(
Hide and shoot doesn't work. They fly too high. Try to walk and see tons of them on the ground but can't get close, they fly away when I was about 100 yards from them.

Or anyone willing to take me to hunt? I really need to learn more. I will drive pay for gas, I will pick up your trash, I will be your slave....
im in the same boat you are my friend

Almasy said:

Wow, not to be mean, but this post is hillarious. Things tend to really slow down after the opener. I don't remember when the season ends but I will be gone until after next week and can't go until then. Perhaps we can organize a hunt for that week. When is a good day for everyone?
Also, I don't know if I mentioned it but ALWAYS PICK UP YOUR TRASH in the fields, including your hulls. It is just respectful to the people who let us hunt there, and will help to ensure we get to continue to hunt.

Ok slow down there First things first. Limiting is fun but other then pheasants (limit 2 on opening day) I have NEVER limited out on anything. I've been hunting a long time. I know driving gets expensive but you will never recoup any lost gas money hunting upland game. The point of hunting should always be the experience. One should learn and any one that mentors a new hunter should teach the experience and not limiting out or even killing anything. I've hunted the iv for a while. After putting in way over 1000 miles (just to get to the iv and back is over 600 for me plus I'll drive 400 scouting in a weekend) ive learned a whole lot and been tossed a few very small bones. Not even those panned out very well.

4 of us went down this year for 5 days straight we hunting morning and afternoons and scouted all mid day. If the tires went turning we were in a drive thrue. We worked really hard had a dozen decoys and averaged 2 a day each. The 4 of us came home with 40 little dove breast's. It feed us one meal. The point is we had a great time seeing some great new places and met some really nice people. The dove we did get tasted that much better knowing we earned them. That said I agree on a group hunt I'm I

Agree. Three doves is a good take for a novice hunting alone, but hunting with a buddy is always more fun and a better tactic especially for doves. I've only been hunting them a couple of years but it's way better with a few other hunters.

Find where the dove are roosting and feeding and you are set. Dove are pretty predictable once you find out where they roost and feed. They wake up early morning, leave the nest to feed. Feed all day and back to the roost at night. Pretty straight forward. If you aren't in the path from point A to point B it's going to be tough.

Three dove for two trips isn't good but it's not bad either considering the time of year. After the opening week it's pretty slim pickings. Like others said, don't get hung up on the #s. Last year I went goose hunting with a group of friends and we popped up out of the blind once. All day. One time. And it was still one of the best trips I've had. I was hanging out with the guys, no women, plenty of drinks, saw probably 500,000 geese, was out in mother nature. I wouldn't trade any of that.

I get a kick out of the text messages I get on Sept 1. "Limit! Time for beer!" "Limit in 30 minutes!" Most of it is all bullsh*t. My hunts aren't defined by numbers. They are defined by time spent with my father, brother, friends, and my dog. If I happen to come home with game, that's a plus. If you take that approach while hunting, everything is much more enjoyable. Just my .02

I normally hunt knowing most likely I will come home empty handed. Its better that way...Long hikes, hot or cold weather, challaging mud you name it.....it's all part of the experience. .. that's why I'm out there...its never the same hunt... if I come home with meat...big bonus....see a yote 3 feet charging....bigger bonus

Hunting is work! you guys are doing one thing right, you are getting off the couch and going out. Some things to help you out. Dove only do three things eat, drink and roost. The birds you saw up high were going some place. They tend to fly in straight lines.

Scout more hunt less it takes years to learn a new area. The limits will come it just takes work and lots of it

Side note the dove are not in the iv in numbers like they are in Sept. You will find them in pockets but it's not that uncommon to find none at all. They mostly winter in mexico

Gsp you have never shot a limit besides a 2 Pheasant limit?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu