Field Hunting Geese

WJones72002

Dec 9, 2012
I am new to California (moved here about a year and half ago) and I was wondering if there was a place a guy could hunt geese in a layout blind style over a field? I don't have a dog unfortunately so I feel retrieving my birds from a field is preferable for me. Also what geese do you see down here mostly specs and snows?

Thanks

Specks are very rare in SoCal. And mostly snows out in the Imperial Valley.........There are some honkers in the IV, but hardly enough to hunt on a regular basis. there are honkers here in SD Co., but it takes permission to hunt them. There are some honkers as well in Riverside Co., but again lots of scouting and probably written permission would be required.

There are some honkers at Lake Henshaw and it's possible to get them with a few decoys and a layout......Very inconsistent though and the handful taken were mostly taken by duck hunters.

San Jacinto does have a few honkers as well late in the season. And I think Tom (manager) has designated some fields for hunting for them.

Wister has almost 99% snows. There are dry fields, but historically it takes very large spreads and multiple guys to compete.

Hope this helps a little.

As ilovesprig mentioned the Wister refuge has field hunting for snow geese. Numbers at the refuge are down but hopefully will improve this year.

The other option is going up to the Sac Valley, refuge hunting is available, guided hunts too. There are 3 million plus geese up there at peek

I'm not a fan of using dogs to field hunt, over water a dog is mandatory

Spec hunting, good calling and 3-10 doz is a good start

Snow goose hunting, this is what I do. I advise everyone to stay away from it, very expensive and the learning curve can be lengthy.

That being said IMHO a good snow goose spread consist of 300-500 full bodies and 1000 plus socks.

Sacramento last year, big spread needed for this area

Attachments

• Sac2014.jpg
    Sac2014.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 98
KID CREOLE said:
That being said IMHO a good snow goose spread consist of 300-500 full bodies and 1000 plus socks.

Unless you hunt them over water - 1 to 4 dozen floaters and it's slaughter fest. Feel free to chime in Snake Charmer! ;D

NBK said:
Unless you hunt them over water - 1 to 4 dozen floaters and it's slaughter fest. Feel free to chime in Snake Charmer! ;D

Absolutely right!

My old ass just prefers a field hunt, lay out blinds, so I can take those hourly power nap ;)

Yep - there is nothing more satisfying than taking a nap in the blind only to wake up with 400 screaming birds crashing your dekes! Even better when you wake up and they are walking around in your spread

Good times...

NBK said:
Yep - there is nothing more satisfying than taking a nap in the blind only to wake up with 40 screaming birds crashing your dekes! Even better when you wake up and they are walking around in your spread

Good times...
Well I can think of at least one thing that's an unbeatable way to be awakened, but I'll accept these scenarios as runners-up... ;) But your enthusiasm does make me look forward to waterfowl hunting this year for the first time!

Sent via Tapatalk

Bonejour said:
NBK said:
Yep - there is nothing more satisfying than taking a nap in the blind only to wake up with 40 screaming birds crashing your dekes! Even better when you wake up and they are walking around in your spread

Good times...
Well I can think of at least one thing that's an unbeatable way to be awakened, but I'll accept these scenarios as runners-up... ;) But your enthusiasm does make me look forward to waterfowl hunting this year for the first time!

Sent via Tapatalk

No argument there. Good one

I've been lucky enough over the years to have a few chances at snows over floaters, IMO easier than field decoyed snows by far but you can't deny the thrill of hundreds of birds settling into the decoy's in a field spread !

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu