Finally got my buck!

fordfan1

Sep 5, 2012
San Diego
So I got the opportunity to go out with my guide Sdbirds. We've been friends since we were young and he thought there was a good chance that if he took me out he could get me on my first buck. The only thing was if we saw anything big I had to bow out and he would take it. I agreed and the trip was planned. Ended up going out with Sdbirds and Stikbrandon this last Wednesday.
The story begins the night be fore when Johnny says something about bullets and my heart stops. I had just realized that I had shot the last 6 rounds at paper earlier that week making sure my 7mm rem mag was still on. This was 9:00 Tuesday night. With no chance of finding the same ammo I decided I would take my AR chambered in 6.8. Good gun it just worried me that I hadn't shot it in a while. Met up at 4:30 am got to our spot and started hiking in. Wasn't long before we started seeing does. Kept hiking in and ending up seeing two bucks just about the same time. Both we didn't have a shot at but we split up and tried to put a stalk on them. One was a nice one. Its was Johnny's deer of coarse and the other I got after. Both some how gave us the slip. we hiked some more and ate some lunch. Early afternoon we spotted another one perfectly set up for a stalk. Brandon was nice enough to let me go again. Small fork but who am I to be picky having never shot a buck before. Stalked in was able to find a perfect rock to lay out prone on. The only problem was my one contact I have to wear in my shooting eye was making my vision blurry. Decided I was going to try and shoot left handed. I find him in my scope and Johnny says take him! I end up hitting him through both lungs at 260yrds first shot. Such a cool moment. Only runs 30yrds and piles up. Because were so far out we quarter him up and split up the meat between the three of us. We hunted out way out hoping to get another but didn't see much else. All in all we covered 14.8 miles, Me and Brandon were almost out of water even though I brought 3 liters and a Gatorade, and we were all just about spent. Such a fun day with these guys. Thank you guys so much for helping me pack out my first buck and thank you Johnny for a hunt that I'll remember for a long time.

Attachments

• IMG_20151028_130342792.jpg
    IMG_20151028_130342792.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 73
Epic trip Peter!!!

Glad to help you out man! Such a mission that wwe went on!

Congrats again

Deer hunting: I don't know what is better - the hunt, the adventure, the comradery, or the result of bringing it all home and remembering it over many meals throughout the year.

Congrats on your first buck.

Well done on your first buck. Good thing there were 3 of you the pack him out.

Johnny is a good dude for guiding you guys back.

Congrats!

That's were you kill them in the thick and nasty far from the road......

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu