Fine Firearms

msteele711

Always Learning
Apr 25, 2015
www.sandiegofishingclub.com
I had some free time so I stopped by a Store in La Mesa yesterday that was on my list to check out. Spoke to a great guy, John about a few things one of which was this website. We both agreed that it wasn't fair of anyone to come into the store, buy Game Bags or Ammunition and then leave without him ever figuring out what went into those bags!

So I will post up a detailed story on how I am going to use the TAG Game Bags I bought in the store on my next hunting trip end of May. I just bought my deer tags for San Diego, have another Deer Hunt scheduled for May in another state, and have Elk Tags for later this year.

Thanks

Mike

Haha I thought you were going to say it wasn't fair that you live too far to take full advantage of FF's deal of the day!

Ok...put in for my Deer Tags, updated Hunting license, and bird stamps...need to go in and get some a Federal Migratory Bird Stamp and good to go...just need to wait.

Think I am overpacked for my next adventure. Leaving in a couple weeks for a deer hunt out of State. Will take pics and provide another tale of adventure!

cool a spring deer hunt, where is that at?

This one is a tease. I have an opportunity to hunt Axis Deer up deep in the Mountians in Hawaii on private land. From what I am told this one is a stalk hunt, challenging hiking, and these things are super smart. Like they lay down when they hear a car coming. We have contacts with some locals. First time going with guys that have been doing it for over a decade so in this case just better to be lucky than good. I will report back!

msteele711 said:
This one is a tease. I have an opportunity to hunt Axis Deer up deep in the Mountians in Hawaii on private land. From what I am told this one is a stalk hunt, challenging hiking, and these things are super smart. Like they lay down when they hear a car coming. We have contacts with some locals. First time going with guys that have been doing it for over a decade so in this case just better to be lucky than good. I will report back!

Sounds like a fun time. Which island you hunting? When I lived on B.I., I knew a couple guys that'd make an annual bowhunt trip to Lanai to get their axis deer. I hear they do like to lay down -- my buddy once showed me a pic of a buck trying to hide by laying down in tall pili grass, except his antlers gave him away.

I have a cousin that lives on Lania. He tells me there are so many Axis on the island they are creating erosion problems. He's been trying to get me over there for a hunt.

On my bucket list

My buddy is on the plane now going ahead of me. I expect to see PICs soon. Gonna be a long week for me! All my stuff is packed, just have to go shoot one round out of my rifle to clear out the oils so I'm off to P2K tomorrow, then sitting. Packed so much crap I started shipping it ahead of me LOL. Have no idea what I am in for but should be fun and I won't be working. Plan is to hunt most of Day AM then fish PM. I'm not on a tourist type island, private land, don't want to push those details so much so PM me and I will respond to details.

Jason I plan on bringing you some dried deer meet! I am taking a cooler as luggage and will bring deer meat back as well. These animals eat guava fruit alot and taste great. In addition to the hunt I have an informal Wedding to attend. I fish Salmon every year during our Anniversary so we are renewing our vows during this trip. That way I have a 2nd Wedding Anniversary to celebrate with her in person that does not interfere with the Salmon run. That should be fun as we are jumping in on a local luau for someone's birthday party. All I have to bring is beer for 3500 people...LOL

I will post as soon as I can. Internet speed not so good but I will document the hunt. This one will be very different from any I have been on. Most of my stuff has been to prepare for elevation and cold. This one will be somewhat hot, wet, muggy, camo is important as I am told these deer are very visual (in addition to sound). I have to wrap my shiny barrel, wear cammo, walk in the dark, etc. I will test my binoculars to see if they are really water proof and I think I will test my body to see if I can haul that much meat those discussed distances. We apparently go where no man has gone before in some instances...LOL

Thx

Mike

No issues with the Firearm, Ammo, Meat, or the Antlers. I guess I had a bag of sheds/antlers and an Ice Chest of meat so they partnered up. I had an issue with bringing too large of an ice chest. The plane to the local island could not fit it in their hold so they held if for me for 10 days. I was surprised to see it there when I got back to Maui. I just used cardboard boxes to get me to Maui. All was wrapped in freezer paper good and tight and there is a direct flight on Alaska Airlines to San Diego. I got a little ambitious on the meat but the gal gave me a break on freight in Maui and only charged me the minimum.

Guy on the XRay asked and I replied, "all fresh harvested Axis Deer, frozen, no fruits, nothing else, I have my license, etc". He just waved me off. They did open it later (TSA) as I found their tape on my ice chest later. TSA pretty much opened all my stuff.

My wife gave me grief for the extra work but I won't harvest anything unless I am going to eat it (and share it).

Thx

Mike

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu