First attempt @ Reload - .44 Mag - one got seated too low, Ok to fire?

TheGDog

Nov 28, 2018
XX
Loading these Barnes 225gr XPB's with H110 @ 20gr.

Barnes recipe table for this load, with this poweder, shows low of 19.9 and high of 22.1

First one I went to seat the bullet, the seater die wasn't backed-out enough. So it seated it a bit too low. I read this increases pressures.

What I'm curious to know is, would this round be safe enough to fire in the rifle? I figure it probably wouldn't be as accurate as it should be since it wouldn't be seated properly in the chamber. But I'd hate to waste one.

Would like to get opinion on whether you think it'd be safe to fire this one round or not? Taking into consideration I don't have it at that 22.1 gr max.

I'm figuring this one round shouldn't hurt it. And that it'll probably show me how important getting proper O.A.L. is.

I wouldn't use it for hunting. Just at the range. Just to see what would happen. What say ye?

Don’t shoot. Take no chances when it comes to reloading. If I ever have a doubt I pull, weigh, measure etc. it would probably shoot, but probably isn’t how I like to roll when it comes to reloading. Over / under seating a round or two is common it’s all part of the setup and no one is perfect. You won’t be wasting it if you pull it.

One more thing “just to see what would happen” is not how you want to approach this hobby. By over pressurizing a case what will happen is either whew it worked or dammit my gun is ruined, or I’m dead/blind the receiver exploded in my face or you lose some fingers. It’s just not worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: longbowhunter2
You need one of these. Take it apart and start over.

RCBS Pow'r Pull Impact Bullet Puller
  • Product #: 685703
  • RCBS #: 9412
  • UPC #: 076683094124

109 ReviewsWrite a Review

RCBS Pow'r Pull Impact Bullet Puller

Reactions: longbowhunter2
use your bullet puller and redo it, I'm not a expert reloader but I did spend the night at a Holiday Express.
Just for S & G, ya wanna explain to a brother the reference to a Holiday Inn Express? Us Broke n Po types that don't get out much aren't gonna get it.

For all newbies, remember this.
Specifications are for a reason.
Stress and strain , pressures,
Fudging any thing is playing Russian roulette..
It may work and then it may fail.
Even equipment designed with a safety factor under normal pressure can and have failed..
Never take chances..

Refers to a series of popular commercials. Obviously you had not seen and/or remembered them so you did not get the reference. I laughed...

Ahh.. Ok... yeah.. these days I hardly ever watch any programming that forces ya to watch Ads. Things like that I learn of when maybe sitting beside Mama who watches Cable content, or when my boy (via YouTube Ads) tells me about it.

Well i hope you don't ad block our site. Its the only source of revenue we have and blocking just hurts our ablity to be here :)

Yes I'm guilt tripping all you ad blocking and tapatalk users

Huh? On the contrary I routinely click on the tailored adds BECAUSE I know it'll fuel the sites I dig on. They're tailored adds anyway... so they are based on sites you've already visited so they have half an idea of what you'd be interested in anyway.

Reactions: NBK and Aeon
Welp, finished up 18 of 'em this evening. There was that one that is seated too deeply and one where I inadvertantly used the crimper die instead of the desired bullet-seater die.. and uh... that didn't work out so great for that piece of brass. But other than than, not too bad! Starting to get the groove of it! Thank you gentleman who kindly answered my initial questions on this matter!

Welp, finished up 18 of 'em this evening. There was that one that is seated too deeply and one where I inadvertantly used the crimper die instead of the desired bullet-seater die.. and uh... that didn't work out so great for that piece of brass. But other than than, not too bad! Starting to get the groove of it! Thank you gentleman who kindly answered my initial questions on this matter!
View attachment 39126
Right on Larry

I only load shotgun shells but, my friend reloads everything. He knows more about reloading than God and I know for certain he would never consider running that round through any gun. I'm certain he would mention things like, excessive PSI,powder not all infighting and other reason not to shoot that round. I know at this point in this thread what you have done, I just thought I would add this info. to conversation.

Pull the bullet for sure. Never take a chance. BTW, It's sort of hard to see, but it looks to me like you are crimping too hard. It looks like there is a slight bulge on the next to last bullet on the right. Run a case up into the press and then screw the die down until it just touches the case. Back the case out and screw the die down another 1/8 turn and lock the ring there. That's all you need. Seat the bullet so the die crimps right into the cannelure. I think you are seating a hair too deep. JMHO

Reactions: TheGDog

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu