First blood with the new AR

ODI

Mar 23, 2012
El Cajon
Went out with Wheels this week and made a couple coyote stands in west Imperial valley. Took out my new AR with a pinned and welded 14.5 FN double chrome lined barrel with a mid length hand guard. I built this rifle for coyote hunting and keep it as light and short as the law will allow. Rifle worked very well, dog went down with the first round. We were using s FoxPro caller and Primos decoy, chose to stand in bush instead of sitting for a better field of view/fire. Coyote slowly worked its way to our stand until it was about 80 yds out and saw the decoy. Then the hunger instinct took over and the coyote came in at a dead run and ran straight into a 62gr. 5.56 bullet going the other way. Total time from first call to first round fired was less the 5 min. Wheels changed the call right after I shot and we waited for more coyotes but nothing else came in. IMG_0314_zpsbabf43a7.gif

Strong work Chase! Good looking rig there...

Great first post!

Thats awesome ODI! My buddy is into the coyote hunting and said pretty much the same thing about those decoys. He says they get radar lock on it and don't stop until they hit it or you shoot em. Good job!

Great job!! I go down there to camp and drive my truck all the time. Were you near a canal or farm fields?

Nice job. I never had any interest in AR style rifles until a shouldered a Remington one my brother bought and it just felt great. That will be my next rifle to build, I have a couple buddies that are in the process right now.

AR platforms are very efficient on Coyotes. Accurate, light, swing fast and able to get off multiple rounds if needed. If you are thinking something other than .223 building one makes sense - otherwise the Colt 6720 is the ultimate rig right out of the box (IMHO).

Stainless 20" Match H-BAR 1-9" twist with a match trigger...

Attachments

• CR6720CA.jpg
    CR6720CA.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 104
NBK said:
AR platforms are very efficient on Coyotes. Accurate, light, swing fast and able to get off multiple rounds if needed. If you are thinking something other than .223 building one makes sense - otherwise the Colt 6720 is the ultimate rig right out of the box (IMHO).

Stainless 20" Match H-BAR 1-9" twist with a match trigger...

About how much does one of those cost? Do you need a "tool" to remove the mag?

$1399 -$1499 and a .223 bullet works fine to remove the mag.

That gun is at the top of the food chain for sure.

Wish list.

I hear a challenge with words like ultimate :) after duck season we should do a squeak shoot someplace :)

Buck you should come out with me sometime I'm close enough to where you live that you can maybe hear me shoot sometimes :p

Dan Carey 22" Shilen select match barrel. Geissle SSA trigger with a swaro z3
01CD354D-52EA-4324-8F4F-DAAF7ED3FF80-566-000000376F55DA8C.jpg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu