First Coyote Hunt, No Shots Fired

CobPipeMan

Feb 5, 2015
Went out yesterday to CNF North, in the San Mateo Wilderness. Hiked down to the spot we had been planning to set up for a couple weeks, before we arrived at the location I hear humans, come a little further down trail and see a big campfire burning :'( . So that spot was blown. Continued another mile or so into the canyon and find another clearing. Set up decoy, sat about 50 yards away, waited 15 minutes and began calling, call for 20-30 seconds at a time in 3-5 minute intervals, nothing. Sat on stand for an hour, tried a few different calls, nothing. After calling it quits we moved back slowly to the first spot we had planned on, luckily the camper had packed out. Set up to start calling and I hear voices again, they got louder and louder, I observed a group of 5 guys on the trail a few hundred yards away joking around and laughing as loud as possible. This will be the last time I go to this location on the weekend. I was also thinking of arriving there in late afternoon after all the campers/hikers have left.

The thing that sucks about this experience is we scouted this area out a few weeks prior on a Sunday and didnt see a soul down there. im guessing the warm weather was the culprit here.

I thought camp fires were illegal except in designated fire pits in CNF.
I've been scouting out there the last few weeks during the week. Nobody there, no coyote sightings but some scat.

They are illegal, these guys with the fire going started dumping dirt on the fire as soon as they saw us scoping them. Must have thought we were some kind of authority! Lol

I have to say, although we didnt have any success it was definitely a good experience out there. Its tough hunting in San Mateo Wilderness which will make it all the more rewarding to get a kill there. im not the type to give up easy

CobPipeMan said:
They are illegal, these guys with the fire going started dumping dirt on the fire as soon as they saw us scoping them. Must have thought we were some kind of authority! Lol

Not accusing you, but by "scoping" them, I hope you meant with binos...... :eek:

CobPipeMan said:
I have to say, although we didnt have any success it was definitely a good experience out there. Its tough hunting in San Mateo Wilderness which will make it all the more rewarding to get a kill there. im not the type to give up easy
Good for you brother. Check with the CNF Rangers, who can tell you where the least trafficked areas can be found. You could call, but you are more likely to get multiple syllables if you go in and just kind of get a casual conversation going. Down here in SD, the best source of info on foot traffic is BP. Those guys are amazing trackers, see a ton of human and other wildlife, and are always happy to talk.

Glad to hear that you got out and at least took your weapon for a walk. As a guy in SD who still hasn't gotten out to a huntable area yet, I'm hankering to do that too. Is BP border patrol? If so, where would I find them?

X2. I run into BP quite often and they always seem eager to chat about hunting and offer tips. Just this past weekend an agent offered some intel on public land pig movements and some trails I hadn't known about. The BP I've ran into also hunt and they get alot of scouting done while on patrol.

Weekdays are your friend in this area. That's the problem with most of the OC / Riverside Co areas for weekend hunts. Keep after it... mucho predators in there.

lots of people does not = bad hunting. remember coyotes are adaptable big time. Be safe and know your back drop : )

ilovesprig said:
CobPipeMan said:

Not accusing you, but by "scoping" them, I hope you meant with binos...... :eek:

Lol, yeah with binos

Aeon said:
lots of people does not = bad hunting. remember coyotes are adaptable big time. Be safe and know your back drop : )

I was under the assumption that the smell of campfire would make the yotes very weary, as well as hearing loud voices. Does it not matter?

Another question, are hand calls worth it? We dont have an e-caller atm and were using only hand calls. Obviously I am not yet proficient with them. Im thinking to just get the ecaller, but continue practicing hand calls. Seems like it would take a lot of time to get good at hand calling, plus it drives my wife crazy when i do it in the house, freaks out her dog really bad. Last time I blew on the call inside the dog wouldnt come out from under the bed for hours.

CobPipeMan said:
ilovesprig said:
CobPipeMan said:

Lol, yeah with binos

I figured.......Twice in my life, I've looked at guys thru my binos and they were looking back at me thru their rifle scope........Spooky feeling.

ilovesprig said:
CobPipeMan said:
ilovesprig said:
CobPipeMan said:

Lol, yeah with binos

I figured.......Twice in my life, I've looked at guys thru my binos and they were looking back at me thru their rifle scope........Spooky feeling.

Talk about muzzle control...

Coyotes hear and see all kinds of things. They adapt well to urban areas and to people walking around in the woods, call and try

Yes hand calls work great! Don't worry about what you sound like. Listen to some calls and imitate it. No wrong way to sound like a animal getting ripped up.

Chadwick said:
Again, is BP border patrol? Would that be the guys off I 8?
Yes, BP means Border Patrol. You see them a lot along 8 and also 94, and patrolling the back country. I've never asked what they think of hunters, but I get the impression they may be the one group of officials that sees hunters as assets in some way. Maybe they just don't mind running into a friendly face once in awhile. Dunno. I've had them following my tracks at times, and I've had them come by to check when I was parked and sleeping in the back country. Always respectful, helpful and no hassle.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu