First Deer Hunt

Baldkrash

Aug 4, 2013
Went to D14 this weekend. I had visions of posting pics of my first deer to all of you to admire Found a spot that was pretty far away from anywhere, didn't see a single person on the dirt road i found. Found a great spot with water and food and tons of deer prints, Not just a few prints, but it looked like a well trafficked area. I found some deer droppings as well. My assumption was that they come down for the water. So I found the spot Sunday afternoon and hiked all over until about 5:30. Then went to my campsite. Was back in the spot before the sun went was up on Monday morning. (Cold btw), I sat there and glassed the area for about three hours then moved on. I drove all over and hiked all over but didn't see a deer.

Should I have stayed in the same spot that had deer sign all over?

Also, I didn't have an scent away, do you think they smelled me and steered clear?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
That's great that you got out......The more you do, the more you'll feel comfortable with your movements.....;)

Be the predator......:skull:

Reactions: xjon
I went up there also. Saw about 10 deer in the spot over the two days I was there. My biggest suggestion to you is to find a good spot to glass an area. Don't move so much unless it's to change glassing angles. Let your eyes do the work through optics. I was very pleased with the amount of deer and how healthy they looked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deer are alerted by movement. Keep your body well hid, and if possible leave only your head visible. move very little. Stay as motionless as possible. Get a high point within 100 yards if possible. Watch the trail with all the tracks and scat. And most of all keep the wind in your face. Don't use scented soaps for you or your clothes. And keep at it. It will take time. Patience some time it takes weeks.

Sounds like a great area. Is there high ground nearby where you could sit and glass it? Regardless of scent blockers, soaps and what you've been eating, they'll smell you if the wind isn't in your favor; doesn't matter what aftershave you're wearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's great that you got out......The more you do, the more you'll feel comfortable with your movements.....;)

Be the predator......:skull:
Its great to see the prints especially highly trafficked areas. You said you know where water is, find the beds and brushes they are feeding on. Look around some more...you will see more tracks (game trail). Find their routes. Look for where the routes funnel. Next find a high spot 3-500 yards away and glass, glass, glass. Know what time they start to come up and down. Know where they pause for breaks.

If you feel a spot is heavily traveled on, a trail cam would help. You have to know who, when, and how often they go through there. A doe with a kid can produce a well traveled trail even though they travel that route 1-2x/week.

And you said you drove all over and hiked all over and didn't see deer...They are there. I once hiked within 10 feet from a doe and a kid at 4am. They knew that I couldn't see them with my human eyes and as long as they didn't move I would likely walk past...which I did.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu