First Dove Hunting Gun and Location?

First-year a Winchester model 12, 16ga full choke..:joy:. That's all I had and I nailed a few.
I went to a very very crowded place.

Reactions: WaterDog
First-year a Winchester model 12, 16ga full choke..:joy:. That's all I had and I nailed a few.
I went to a very very crowded place.
That’s something thing I remember from my first opener too, the field was real crowded and a guy at the corner of the field was yelling at another guy about something, probably shooting too close to him.

My great grandfather single shot 410 still have that gun killed lots of birds with it
Its real special to hunt with your grandfather‘s or your great grandfather‘s shotgun. I’ve been hunting with my grandfather’s 1100 the last few years, I think about him every time I pick it up. He wasn’t able to hunt with us due to his health but we had a lot of great fishing trips before he got sick.

Reactions: WaterDog
My first shotgun was a cut down Remington squarback 12 ga with a multi-choke my father got from someone at work, I was about 16. Hunted quail in San Fransiquito Cyn which is now totally urbanized. Later he gave me his Ithaca 20 SS that he had bought at a kid, I hunted dove, quail, pheasant with that.

Reactions: Hunter527
winchester model 12 30” barrel full choke I was 12 years old, dad said try this knocked me on my butt. Then he bought me a savage single shot 20 gauge. Good ol dogwood rd and new river

Single shot 20GA back in 1994 in Yuma. It was in the orange groves not far from the border.

Reactions: Hunter527
Western Field single shot 20ga, Tomato fields between Paradise Hills and Bonita, 1965
Thats amazing to see this. I grew up in one of the last homes at the end of the blacktop road that turned to dirt heading into those tomatoe fields. Circa 1955 - 1976. Hunted those fields and east of the big water tank out into spring valley and the dairy by Sweetwater reservoir and all thru what is now East Lake. Amazing how good we had it back then. Now its total suburbia.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

7 yrs old. My daisy cock lever. Sparrows and mice and any rodent that moved. In the back yard On our 5 1/2 acre bird and horse ranch.hehe
Other then that i was 9 in lytle creek, san berdadoodoo.16 wing master at a cup.
First duck hunt was 12 yrs old at Baldwin lake with stepdad ina boat.
Two cans. Dad said take the first as i was in front. Took the mossberg 20 and bam.one down.pumped.bam.doubled.my dad said HEY!!!! We laughed.
Funny cause i used to say to him before i could shoot. When he missed id say i woulda had that duck.
So i got to cherish that my whole life.
Yep good times.ugghh
Sucks gettin old.

Last edited:
For Me I started with BB and pellet guns ( Verdugo mountains ) . First hunt with powder , I was 11 , I used a 410 bolt action, My father and his brother planed the trip . We hunted the upper Tujunga river area in D-11 . I got 4 doves .

NEF 12 gauge single shot I got for my ninth birthday the year prior. First dove hunt was Niland 1988, along with a 400 other hunters in a single field. Still managed to drop six birds too! I still have memories of doing the pepper dance

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu