First Goose

SoCalRebelHunter

Sworn to hunt, Loyal to none
Jan 22, 2012
East El Cajon
So, I know I've been a poor contributor to this site in the last year but I have not had much to add to the SoCal scene. But, after an ill-fated attempt at late goose season early this year (-4 in a foot of snow), I finally sealed the deal.

I've wanted a Canada Goose since I started hunting birds. It's been on my bucket list and this past Labor Day, I got it done; and did it with my 4-year old in tow. What a great experience! This was his first "real" outing and surely won't be his last. He's finally at an age where he can manage to sit still for more than 3.5 seconds so it was time to take him and I'm so glad I did. I think a lot of us (me included) are too quick to find excuses not to and too selfish to include our kids at times because WE want make sure we have a good time. I'm learning, albeit slowly, that I can have just as much fun and success when he's there, so his frequency of hunting with dad is going to increase.

Anyways, we set up around 6am. Saw first birds at 7. Couldn't get anything to land for some reason but at least they were coming in. We were hunting a harvested what field so there was plenty of feed for them and plenty of break up cover on the ground. After a few attempts of getting them to actually lock up and head for the dirt, they were just barely out of range so I went back to the truck to get an extended range choke. Grabbed it and started heading back to the blind when I noticed a large flock about 1.5 miles to the north. Thinking they were a long ways from heading towards us, I leisurely walked back to the blind and almost got to it when I heard them honking our direction. Quickly replaced the choke, set the gun down, and grabbed the boy and put him in the blind between my legs and attempted to get covered while they were making their turn. I literally just got the flaps closed when I saw the lead goose coming in. Now, I was hunting with a buddy and waiting for him to say the word and when he did, he didn't spring forth from his blind gun blazing like I expected, and now the geese were starting to fly off. Acting quickly, I told the boy to plug his ears, threw the flaps open and went for the Benelli. By this time, 75% of the flock was 65 yards out or better but the stragglers were still within a reachable distance. I picked the closest one, fired and hit it and reloaded; second shot put it down and at no less than 60 yards. First goose in the bag.

The boy was beyond excited, mostly because now he had something to play with but also because "dad shot the gun and killed the goose". He spent the next hour looking it over; opening the mouth and looking at its' tongue; inspecting the feathers; checking out the feet and how big there were. For so many reasons on so many levels, this hunt turned into a learning experience, for both him and I. I'm glad I didn't give into the voice in the back of my head telling me it wasn't going to be a good time and that'd it be a hassle because on it's most basic level, this was unforgettable quality time with a boy and his dad. Thanks for letting me share.

Attachments

• IMG_20150907_092718.jpg
    IMG_20150907_092718.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 21
That is awsome. I started hunting a little later in life and my kids were pre teen and teenagers so i missed that time with them. But my step grandchildren are 4-5 and 6 so the time has come as well as i cant wait to teach my own grandchildren some day. Hopeful another decade or so.

Question... is it goose season in California already?

That is an awesome tale. Way to take a chance and get your boy out there with you. It can only get easier and more fun as time goes on and he gets more comfortable with you out there.

SoCalRebelHunter said:
Thanks, all, for the replies. It was a good day and a good time for sure!

Way to go buddy! Hope you and the family are doing good!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu