First Green Head

HortoTheSlayer

May 17, 2018
Boise Idaho
I finally got my first green head! Started hunting ducks 3 years ago and have only shot some green wings, a buffle head and a ruddie. Been hoping to get one since I started and finally got one yesterday morning while hunting the Snake River out here in Idaho.

The Snake is only about 30 min from where I live. There is also a lake that you can hunt ducks not far from me but it was frozen over the last 2 weeks. Did some scouting along the river and found a spot that a buddy from work and I decided we would come back and set some decoys out. The river can get deep and flow quickly and most hunt it in boats or with kayaks to help retrieve downed birds but we found a slew between the bank and an island that was about waist deep and not flowing as fast as the main channel. Got there early and set up 2 dozen decoys and the wait was on. There are lots of golden eyes on the snake and we could hear them flying around. It was 10min or so after shooting light and we had a single mallard drake land in the water about 60yds to the right of me..I was doing some calling and he jumped up and headed straight to our decoys as he started to cup and land I took my first shot. Looked like I missed..he started back peddling and I followed up with another and down he went. The action slowed way down after that..had a golden eye land and I told my friend it was his shot but he was hoping more would come in but that one flew off shortly after and no other birds even got close.

We could hear quail in the bushes around us so we decided to try and flush some. My buddy took the lead and flushed a big covey of them as they tried to fly across the river to the island he managed to drop one.

We had a fun time even tho it was a slow morning. We're both learning and trying to figure out the area. We've got til the end of the month so will be getting after it again.

20230103_100359.jpg

20230103_095834.jpg

20230103_100025.jpg

There are some great places to hunt ducks on the snake river. A boat and or a good dog are pretty necessary to do it. not sure i would do anything that can flip over out there, that water is COLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
You will kill lots of greenheads on the snake river. This will not be your last

Reactions: TeamRoper
There are some great places to hunt ducks on the snake river. A boat and or a good dog are pretty necessary to do it. not sure i would do anything that can flip over out there, that water is COLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hoping to get both in the next few years. Most likely a dog first! Definitely cold water this time of year

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu