First pick

SteveHazard

Oct 24, 2018
What is somebody even supposed to do with the 1st choice at wister? Sunday though. Not mine BTW.

Since it was first pick I was wondering if given the same opportunity if people would use a res like that to pick the one of the two pit blinds that are intended for condor hunting. Like D13 SCS or maybe PNM 2. And Hazard 12 seems a little bare. Isn't there something with a bit more vegetation? Not sure exactly where the marker is but something like Y16A 5 looks like it might have no open water what so ever.

A Jr hunter might go that wouldn't have waders. I was curious if there were built in that would be better for a kid like that or if given a low number like that if guys with the gear would go for one of the geese pits. You guys can spare me the stupid comments of suggesting to hunt in the grounds keepers kitchen in Y14 or something retarded. I've only been there once and rough scouted a lot of the areas between beach and Noffsinger but have little knowledge of the areas above or below. I also wasn't born yesterday and can identify a dirt field and a tulle nightmare though the magic of google maps. That's also not to say images reflect the present and things can't change but come on. I've never been there but from the looks I'm guessing the union tract sites would be for geese for example?

I realized S22 looks nothing like it does on google. How old are these garbage images?

I realized S22 looks nothing like it does on google. How old are these garbage images?

I think it says on Google Maps when the image was taken...Things can change by the week out there...Hence, scouting is so important.

There's always the opportunity of asking someone that's a regular too...Sunday goose hunting can be as good as the duck hunting.

You can see the date taken on Google Earth images. Wister units go from being perfect to unhuntable in a season when water is left on them accidentally or for rail habitat. They also go from a jungle or great to moonscaped when the unit is reworked over the summer.

Yeah when I opened the maps up in Earth instead of normal or other map apps I see the date. Apparently 7 years ago. And doing a quick scan I easily found areas 12 years old. I knew the images could be unhelpful pretty fast in certain places like wister but that's longer than I would of expected areas to go without an update. Well note to self the clowns in silicone valley apparently think not much changes over a decade.

There's a kiosk with field conditions next to the checkstation. Not sure if/when it gets updated but if it says green feed (most likely rye grass), then it's a goose field.
S20 & S22 are the only areas with island blinds so the kids without waders is good on most of the refuge.
You're bigger issue is finding where the birds are, & on a Sunday, can be anyone's guess. Lots of factors at play there.
If you have to ask where the goose blinds are, you probably shouldn't pick one. Most likely you'll be out pulled by the hard core goose hunters that will no doubt end up next to you.
As was said, go scout.

Yeah when I opened the maps up in Earth instead of normal or other map apps I see the date. Apparently 7 years ago. And doing a quick scan I easily found areas 12 years old. I knew the images could be unhelpful pretty fast in certain places like wister but that's longer than I would of expected areas to go without an update. Well note to self the clowns in silicone valley apparently think not much changes over a decade.
No disrespect but it occured to me with your post how dependent we have become to the internet to answer our questions and depend on sources that we have no knowledge of or can trust. I remember when I was less than half the age I am now how I learned from people/friends that I knew and never used the info that we try to use today ( it did'nt exist then). Your response should make us all aware to become more leary of what we find online and trust only those we know and have faith in...

No disrespect but it occured to me with your post how dependent we have become to the internet to answer our questions and depend on sources that we have no knowledge of or can trust. I remember when I was less than half the age I am now how I learned from people/friends that I knew and never used the info that we try to use today ( it did'nt exist then). Your response should make us all aware to become more leary of what we find online and trust only those we know and have faith in...
The tools and venues may change over time but at the core some things probably aren't as different as you may think.
People used maps, read books for information, asked advice of strangers, shot ducks with pump guns, and jokers existed that gave out bad blind suggestions. I don't see how the means by which info reaches people should have much of an effect by which they decide to analyze it. I understand putting more or less stock into different specific sources or people but the internet in itself isn't a specific source.

The tools and venues may change over time but at the core some things probably aren't as different as you may think.
People used maps, read books for information, asked advice of strangers, shot ducks with pump guns, and jokers existed that gave out bad blind suggestions. I don't see how the means by which info reaches people should have much of an effect by which they decide to analyze it. I understand putting more or less stock into different specific sources or people but the internet in itself isn't a specific source.
I respect your reply and for the most agree but I at this point in life am very careful as to what I trust especially on an open imternet exchange of information. best of luck to you...

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
What is somebody even supposed to do with the 1st choice at wister? Sunday though. Not mine BTW.

Wister the red headed step child of SoCal wildlife areas. You could have a #25 resi and still pick first. I thought I read the other day 0 resi holders showed up so the sweat line got first pick.

would love to see some of the s22 blinds that people have built. That would have to be portable blinds all day. Use a 55 gallon drum as a blind. There is no natural cover what so ever. What’s the strategy behind those.

I'm sitting at the check station watching trucks coming in from the highway hoping information isn't put on the internet or they have know idea where to go,I scouted today found my location I have no ressi .lol

Can I launch my boat there???

51 on the sweatline this morning after shooting a 1 bird average on Sunday. Good thing I’m hunting ramer lake today

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu