first stand, now im hooked

Sdhunt17

Dec 25, 2017
San Marcos
well i had made time and found a sitter for sat morning but when i had initially woken up it didnt seems promising, with it raining in north county i slept in another hour then finally hit the road en route to san felipe WA. i had been there a few times chasing jackrabbit but with no luck so i tired a new area. as soon as i got there the rain had pushed passed and the warm sun was hitting moist sand. talk about perfect conditions. i had made a trip up to Bass Pro Shop the night before so i was eager to try my new Mojo critter 2 and Johnny Stewart Grim Speaker 2. i didnt get to far into the area when i found tons of rabbit and dog sign.

found a hill to set up on and had no wind just rising thermals and i decided to set up a little on the hill and have my call 60 yards away from me. with everything good to go i was ready. after figuring out my call and finally blasting it id so no more than a few minutes later i saw movement, at first i saw it in the corner of my eye so i though i was just seeing things but next thing you no i see 2 dogs running around tring to locate the call! wow this thing works! i called in 4 dogs and missed 2 one at 60 and when i missed the first one i was getting closer when one at 40 just ran straight on top of the call.

what exciting hunting! i called in 7 total dogs missed 3 (60/40/60) and one almost landed on my lap.
lessons learned.
well for one anticipate the back door haha i was playing th wind but one dog was so excited he ran past me at 5 yards and nearly tripped when he saw me.
be ready! have arrows laying on the side for followup shots
calm down haha i think i got to excited with all the commotion than i never really anchored right and just shot under them. inches!!!!

either way it was a good time. going to try to make it out when the weather is better, i only had a few hours till it started to rain again but i seem to have a recipe right.

Dang, SD that sounds like a rad hunt. Yup, you are hooked. The dogs must be thick out that way. They say that yotes can get educated so take your time and take them out. It would be awesome to see video of the action.. hint hint, a little camcorder.

take good cover and put the decoy at 20... they will come

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you please connect your GS2 to your USB cable and copy out all the sounds to a folder on your hard-drive, and email them to me? I recently bought the GS2, but bought it with custom sounds pre-installed, so I'd like to add back in the original sounds as well. PM me and I'll give you the email address when you're ready. Maybe you can copy 'em up to a fileshare such as OneDrive/DropBox/GoogleDrive?

I'm not very happy with the remote on that thing. It's very spotty for me, and the buttons have an audible click to them. It's soft, but it's there.

I went out with mine on Sunday and did a bunch of sets thru where I Deer hunt looking for Bobcat. I'd unknowingly called one in super close to me (10yds) last year out there, I'd been on stand for 45 minutes and my lower back was killing me. So stood up, and long story much shorter blew it because he was to my extreme right. Tried to slowly turn around, almost pulled it off. So anyway, trying to make it happen this time.

Reactions: Sdhunt17
Can you please connect your GS2 to your USB cable and copy out all the sounds to a folder on your hard-drive, and email them to me? I recently bought the GS2, but bought it with custom sounds pre-installed, so I'd like to add back in the original sounds as well. PM me and I'll give you the email address when you're ready. Maybe you can copy 'em up to a fileshare such as OneDrive/DropBox/GoogleDrive?

I'm not very happy with the remote on that thing. It's very spotty for me, and the buttons have an audible click to them. It's soft, but it's there.

I went out with mine on Sunday and did a bunch of sets thru where I Deer hunt looking for Bobcat. I'd unknowingly called one in super close to me (10yds) last year out there, I'd been on stand for 45 minutes and my lower back was killing me. So stood up, and long story much shorter blew it because he was to my extreme right. Tried to slowly turn around, almost pulled it off. So anyway, trying to make it happen this time.
oh wow thats awesome, i have a cat tag im trying to fill as well. yea ill try to get to it tonight or tomorrow. yea the remote sucks, i have to push the buttons multiple times sometimes or get within 40 yards start it and run to my position haha, hey we get what you pay for right and its honestly the loudest mobile game call i could find. hey gets the job done.

jackrabbit buffet FTW!!
ill pm in ya man.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
The speaker on this unit is good. Tons better than the ICOTec 300 I had last year. And I like that it is super easy to update the sounds in this thing. Just copy'em into the folder. It just displays them all in alphabetical order. Although some of the personal MP3's I put into mine are 320Kbps, and I think maybe that bitrate is a little high for it. It plays them, and they are caller sounds I recorded from an old Vinyl set of 45's from Johnny Stewart back in the day. And the unit plays them back, but it should sound better than it does. So I think I'm going to have to go look at the other files bitrates and then jump back into Sound Forge and re-save those MP3's off into a separate copy with a lower bitrate. From the way it sounded, I kinda got the impression that the codec was struggling to keep up at that bitrate.

Also.. from being out on Sunday, I think I want to pull the sound files mine has in it into Sound Forge and massage them to bring out maximum volume and compression. I noticed some of the sounds playback a bit quieter than others.

Another goofy thing that was happening to me was... I'd fuss with the remote... pick a volume level... move the selection bar over a sound and do play. Then after some amount of time the remote shuts down the display to save battery. When I was pressed the "power-on" type button to wake back up the remote... I would notice that it seemed to keep putting the volume indicator back to "2", even though no change in playback volume had (yet) occurred. IF I, at that time... were to press the volume up button.. the currently playing back volume level would then drop from whatever it was currently playing at...back down to the 2, then up to the 3 as I up'd it and so forth.

Yesterday the range was acting poorly. But other times I've had it a significant distance away and it'd work. I think whatever tech they employ for the remote broadcasting is sensitive to line-of-sight obstructions. Even if it's just tall grasses apparently.

If you're talking about those on AL's Varminter page... yeah... I looked at those.. and I still might DL some of 'em. But the quality and realism just wasn't there for me. And a lot of them... it's just him editing and layering multiple cheap recordings on top of each other.

Our other dog is a very small Chihuahua and I will say I've thought about trying to record her solo barking like she does when she's "defending" the backyard from something. I've often thought for sure that'd bring in a yote like a magnet.

Awesome report! I drove past San Felipe WA last week and talked to a couple guys in the parking area and asked them about it. From what I've seen and what they told me it looks like a good coyote spot. Hope you leave some for the rest of us.

BTW... are there some "rules" people are supposed to be following in terms of where they place the motion decoy? I know ya wanna put it someplace, , with caller into the wind, and then you sit crosswind of it so you can catch preds trying to circle downwind of it.

But I'm asking questions more like... is it better to place the decoy near to a piece of bush? Or it's OK to just be right out in the open somewhere?

I've been putting it just a little out front of a small bush or clump of tall-grass, then nestling the caller more inside that nearby bush/clump with the speaker pointing slightly upward.

Guess I'm just curious if the successful callers noticed something in regards to the placement of the motion decoy that helps things?

BTW... are there some "rules" people are supposed to be following in terms of where they place the motion decoy? I know ya wanna put it someplace, , with caller into the wind, and then you sit crosswind of it so you can catch preds trying to circle downwind of it.

But I'm asking questions more like... is it better to place the decoy near to a piece of bush? Or it's OK to just be right out in the open somewhere?

I've been putting it just a little out front of a small bush or clump of tall-grass, then nestling the caller more inside that nearby bush/clump with the speaker pointing slightly upward.

Guess I'm just curious if the successful callers noticed something in regards to the placement of the motion decoy that helps things?
sp I played around with the idea wen I went out. first a put it in the middle of a Bush where it can still move freely and that worked next I put it in the open with the same result. u think they are looking more for the noise than anything but I think it draws them closer when they see movement.

like IVhunter said put the call closer to you, in the first 5min. if their coming its usually hot and fast be ready with the shotgun, the wiser coyotes will come in slower usually hanging up farther out time for the rifle, when hunting with partner always one has the shotgun the other the rifle, good luck.

If you're bowhunting... put the caller in a Bush right where you want to shoot. I put mine at 20 yards. Injured rabbits dive into bushes. Coyotes will have to look for it. At over 100 yards a coyote knows exactly what bush the noise is coming from. Ed F

If you're bowhunting... put the caller in a Bush right where you want to shoot. I put mine at 20 yards. Injured rabbits dive into bushes. Coyotes will have to look for it. At over 100 yards a coyote knows exactly what bush the noise is coming from. Ed F
Makes common sense.
What ever one uses, setup in the
Shooting lane within range
Be it, bow , shotgun, or rifle.

So Ed, does that mean you happen to not use a motion decoy at all? Just curious.

No reason to use one... they come in looking for the call. Coyotes are smart... plus I want them to stop for the shot. The videos I've seen with a decoy, they don't stop... Ed F

Reactions: TRICER
I once called an area with bushes about 3 feet tall and not much area to walk through, basically an ag field that was not taken care of. Just a few small game trails around. I just stood next to a tree on the edge. I only put the caller because the mojo critter wouldn't be tall enough for the yote to see.

After the first couple of minutes I get movement, shizzz I should say lots of movement... the dang yote was running/jumping about 3 to 4 feet high every step of the way so he could see where the "dying rabbit" was, it was like the pounce you see them do when pouncing into snow to get a mouse. He passed by me standing in the open next to a tree and didn't even spot me. He was locked towards the bush where the caller was. Saved some rabbits and any other critters that dog was eating. It was a good day for me.

*note Google pic is not updated, brush has filled in the whole area now. I trip-out on this when I hit the desert looking for deer and the area doesn't look anything like the online scouting I did. But that's why "boots on the ground" always are better.field.png

I use a mouth call Rabbit distress
I have called in 5 dogs. 2 got wacked. They would come right at me.
i just ordered some mouth calls from MFK. got a howler and a rabbit distress. i wanna try to sound like a pack with my mouth call and box. havent gotten the yet.

heading up to palomar mountain tomorrow evening, gunna try to call them in the woods.

Reactions: longbowhunter2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu