First Time Bacon - Jowl Meat

socalcowboy

Sep 12, 2012
Lakeside
Make sure you keep Jowl meat and make bacon out of it - taste good. First time doing it.

Brine in salt, brown sugar, regular sugar for 3 days

Used barrel smoker for 4 hours - hickory and apple chips..

Bought meat slicer at harbor freight (of all places) but did the job at a price I cannot refuse...

Had breakfast burritos already - and can wait to put in beans.....

Attachments

• IMG_1775.JPG
    IMG_1775.JPG
    421.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1782.JPG
    IMG_1782.JPG
    641.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1786.JPG
    IMG_1786.JPG
    207.8 KB · Views: 23
Nice.

We usually just pull backstraps and leave the rest lie. But I haven't been fortunate enough to shoot 1 large pig and then butcher the whole thing out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IronworksTactical said:
We usually just pull backstraps and leave the rest lie. But I haven't been fortunate enough to shoot 1 large pig and then butcher the whole thing out.
My friend, if you only knew what you have been missing. I use more meat off a pig than off deer: including ribs, because there is more meat to be had so it's worth the effort. Beside that, Pork is naturally tasty and a little more marbled than venison so it roasts better, so it's more versatile. Pork tenderloin is excellent and if you take the backstraps, it's hardly any more work to reach around and take the tenderloin from under the spine. Hams, butt (shoulder), brisket, all the great neck meat for carnitas or ground meat. The heart is as good as any other heart. There isn't usually enough belly fat on a wild pig for me to make bacon, but this is a great idea using jowls for it.

Bonejour said:
IronworksTactical said:
My friend, if you only knew what you have been missing. I use more meat off a pig than off deer: including ribs, because there is more meat to be had so it's worth the effort. Beside that, Pork is naturally tasty and a little more marbled than venison so it roasts better, so it's more versatile. Pork tenderloin is excellent and if you take the backstraps, it's hardly any more work to reach around and take the tenderloin from under the spine. Hams, butt (shoulder), brisket, all the great neck meat for carnitas or ground meat. The heart is as good as any other heart. There isn't usually enough belly fat on a wild pig for me to make bacon, but this is a great idea using jowls for it.

Oh I'm aware but when we are getting on sounders of 10-30 pigs each stalk and hitting 5-6 sounders a night. We probably shoot 10-15 pigs a night. We don't have time to do all that. Gotta make a dent in the population (who am I kidding) or at least try to in order for the farmers to keep us hunting their land. That's in Texas btw. I've yet to get on a pig in California. Where I would be butchering the whole animal out. But you are right the pig meat is more to my liking than the venison.

IronworksTactical said:
Oh I'm aware but when we are getting on sounders of 10-30 pigs each stalk and hitting 5-6 sounders a night. We probably shoot 10-15 pigs a night. We don't have time to do all that. Gotta make a dent in the population (who am I kidding) or at least try to in order for the farmers to keep us hunting their land. That's in Texas btw. I've yet to get on a pig in California. Where I would be butchering the whole animal out. But you are right the pig meat is more to my liking than the venison.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu