first time deer hunter

Gcddarren

Sep 23, 2014
So as a first time deer hunter I have to admit I a m kind of nervous about going. I know I can do everything until after I pull the trigger. Field dressing and butchering a deer is a little intimating. I can fillet tuna and halibut so I assume I can figure it all out with a youtube video. but still. With a week till opening day I need to sight my rifle, get a stand or bi pod, and get something to put the meat in. Any advice tips. I just do not want to go out there and make a mistake and pay for it. I will be hunting Pine Valley area opening day.

Darren,

Are you hunting by yourself?......I'd try and find someone to go with......Just a good idea in our mountains. And especially when you're new to deer hunting.

I gut & drag......Others on here basically filet their deer on the spot......It really depends how far back your in and the terrain you're hunting.....Just old school for me.

Too gut & drag, it doesn't take a surgeon.....Have your deer on a downhill slope, where the guts can roll out. Cut small incision near the rear of the gut without puncturing the gut sack. Cut up to the rib cage and pull out guts. I sew the belly back up (carry zip ties or twine) and drag out.....Once you can hang it, I saw the pelvis open and get the piss sack & bowel out (I carry a saw with me and will do this in the field too).....Make sure it's hung down or if on the ground, make sure you don't bust the sack in the meat. Wash out immediately, if you can.

If you're near SD North County, I have a tree to hang your deer and will help you.....I use Specialty Meats here in Escondido.....Right down the street and open 7 days a week.

ps......Don't forget to bring a pen and put that tag on the buck......Immediately.

Attachments

• IMG_4867.JPG
    IMG_4867.JPG
    848 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4865.JPG
    IMG_4865.JPG
    917.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Marilyn's buck 2012 027.JPG
    Marilyn's buck 2012 027.JPG
    502.9 KB · Views: 32
First of all good luck out there.
For the field dressing and butchering, you tube is a big help if you've never done it or seen it done.
The method you use is up to you and your situation. Will you be solo? How long/hard of a hike back to the truck?
Feel free to PM me, I'll probably be in the same general part of D16 for the rifle opener, so if you run into a snag I may be able to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darren, I'm working Saturday but like lots of others, I'll be watching posts. If are lucky enough to take a buck on opening day, post a call for help tracking or field dressing and folks will try to help you. Good luck!

Pine valley you won't be alone might want an orange hat and get there early.

Just gut him like a fish and drag him to the nearest rd load him up and do the rest at home. If you've done fish you'll be fine....you'll get lost here and there but it's just muscle groups and more of them.

I killed a good doe in there opening day many years ago shortest opener I ever had back at the truck before the sun was up over the hills.

Good luck!

Gcddarren said:
So as a first time deer hunter I have to admit I a m kind of nervous about going. I know I can do everything until after I pull the trigger. Field dressing and butchering a deer is a little intimating. I can fillet tuna and halibut so I assume I can figure it all out with a youtube video. but still. With a week till opening day I need to sight my rifle, get a stand or bi pod, and get something to put the meat in. Any advice tips. I just do not want to go out there and make a mistake and pay for it. I will be hunting Pine Valley area opening day.

I'm in the same boat as you, I've had guys help me gut and skin a black bear, but not a deer yet. It is a bit intimidating, and I don't think my townhouse complex would be very happy with me skinning and quartering a deer in the complex :D
I've watched some good basic videos on how to gut em and skin em, realtree's youtube channel has some good info. I will be doing all of the dressing on the ground (sloped) which is a good challenge too. I'll be out this weekend on Sunday for D16 hunting solo also so feel free to PM me if you are also planning on going out that day and maybe we can help each other out.

YouTube is how I learned how to first gut a deer and quarter it out. Then I learned the gutless method via YouTube it's the only way to go when far off away from roads. Another tip is to use old used but clean pillow cases you have laying around as meat bags much cheaper. Good luck out there .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always try to do as much in the field or at the truck as possible and don't dump the leftover scraps right off the road find a hill away from a road or a place that it will roll down and not cause an issue with non hunters or scavengers getting hit by cars and such.
You know every treehugger and non hunter will call F&W or the cops and waste their time.

Don't forget you must hang onto the skull cap of a buck or doe that you harvest until Feb 15th

Id be a little more concerned with shooting straight first.

Only 1 week before the opener and you haven't sighted your rifle in?

You may be a skilled marksman and I am concerned for no reason, but my first thought is make sure you know your limitations and how to make a clean ethical kill.

I remember my first deer at 17 and did it by myself - I was so worried about getting dirty I would pick the deer up and and move it to a clean spot every time it stated getting messy. By the time I was done field dressing it there was blood and guts spread around a circle 50 feet in diameter - look like a chainsaw massacre.

I had a little pocket book at the time and followed direction. You could print out some instruction - or now days use your smart phone and store how to on it...

Good Luck and most of all be safe and have fun..

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu