First time dove hunting

D72Blazer

Apr 6, 2012
Lakeside, CA
I recieved an invite to go dove hunting in el centro area and I have never ben before. I have a remington 870 express in 12Ga. Is camo needed ? What are some of the ins and outs for dove hunting? thanks

Dove hunting is a great way to start hunting, It's action packed and challenging, I think for the beginning hunter the best way to learn how is to have your host show you the ropes (listen and learn), Your job right now is to go shoot lots of clay pigeons at your favorite shooting range and become proficient with flying targets (once every week or two) If you practice, listen to your mentor and shoot straight you'll have a truly great first experience.

I have done some clays but they don't fly as fast as some doves I've seen. I will practice as much as I can until the opener.. What about camo? Needed or not. I want to dress as cool as I can for the hot central valley. It is my impression that dove are less likely to require camo.

I'm an old guy. in my early life I never used camo. I'm old now and I've seen the difference, while not mandatory camo works better as far as getting birds in range. Don't get carried away with buying a bunch of accessories, ask you're hunting host what works, generally speaking muted colors found in nature combined with a freshly cut or harvested field and standing very still against a consolidating backround is a good combo

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu