First time elk hunt

I will be hunting public w/ friends and we will be walking. Wish we had horses! Should be a fun pack out. Lol.

Everything I've hunted in Montana has been private...Even then, the elk are very nomadic on a daily basis and pretty routine, if not harassed...E-scout as much as possible before you go...Water is always something you look for...They've already had snow...So, water may be less important, but bugling (rut) should be good...Are your friends locals?

ps...I'm leaving tomorrow for Craig, Montana

Everything I've hunted in Montana has been private...Even then, the elk are very nomadic on a daily basis and pretty routine, if not harassed...E-scout as much as possible before you go...Water is always something you look for...They've already had snow...So, water may be less important, but bugling (rut) should be good...Are your friends locals?

ps...I'm leaving tomorrow for Craig, Montana
Nice! Im flying to Missoula tomorrow. Will be there till Saturday. My friends are locals so I should be in good company. I think we are heading north towards Kalispell.

Thanks for the advice. Good luck on your hunt!

Good Luck Steve. Safe travels. Looking forward to the reports. Already missed the annual first spoony shot from Canada. :p

You and me both, Scott...lol...They're going to make another decision about travel into Canada Sept. 21st....Talked with Claudio Ongaro (outfitter) a week ago....Doesn't sound good.

.canada 2007 day 4 043.jpg

Reactions: chessie

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu