first time hunter question

hots_towel

Jan 27, 2016
hey all. So, I've still yet to go on my first hunt. Im really itching to get out there, but I don't know anything (other than what I went over for my license). I'm thinking about booking a guided hunt for my first, but my question is if I will be able to go hunting again on my own (or with a buddy) for the hunt after that? is there really a huge learning curve to this sport?

Just a few more that kinda have me boggled. How does everyone know where to go to? If someone takes you your first time, and you aren't supposed to go back to that spot, are you just off-roading until you find a spot that looks decent? How do you know the area you're going to isn't a popular one that will be crowded with other hunters?

EDIT: forgot one more thing. what is the rule of thumb for calculating a gratuity for the hunt guide?

Well lots of stuff to learn and the best way is being out there

First BLM & NF for the most part is legal to hunt.
Second read everything you can about the animals you want to hunt just remember not everything you read is true

Guided hunt will be on private land most likely so you won't be able to go back unless you pay. Tip is 10% and up just depends on the service you receive

h-t,

Like Mark said, lots to learn.....But unlike many of us, you have the internet (I had Outdoor Life, Field & Steam, etc.)......There is nothing you can't find on there.....The fact you found this website puts you ahead of the curve.

Pick something that you want to hunt, be a sponge, be dedicated, and ask lots of questions..... ;)

Welcome to SCH..... 8)

thanks for the info guys. is it really as simple though as typing in "turkey hunting spots in [zone]" into google?? i thought any spot you find was supposed to be a secret. also im not quite familiar with the acronyms. what does BLM and NF mean?

Google is not going to give you specific spots, just general areas which will require scouting. BLM stands for Bureau of Land Management and NF is national forest. Not a lot of Internet research will probably give you more information then you can process at once. Make sure you know all the rules and regulations, and know where you are, as well as etiquette. It's really not worth the hospital trip for anyone when something happens.

Also, I'm not sure what you are hunting right now but pretty much anything possible right now you are really gonna want a guide if you are a first timer. Keep in mind a lot of hunting can be really physical, which is actually why I'm on the bench right now.

95 % of a successfull hunt is the countless months weeks days spent scouting areas looking for game,many trips into the forest without seeing anything,the most rewarding part for me of the hunt is
not the actual kill,but all the time you put in finally pays off and your able to harvest your trophy, thats why they call it hunting!

hots_towel said:
hey all. So, I've still yet to go on my first hunt. Im really itching to get out there, but I don't know anything (other than what I went over for my license). I'm thinking about booking a guided hunt for my first, but my question is if I will be able to go hunting again on my own (or with a buddy) for the hunt after that? is there really a huge learning curve to this sport?

EDIT: forgot one more thing. what is the rule of thumb for calculating a gratuity for the hunt guide?

Going on a guided hunt for your first time is worth it. Hell going on a guided hunt is worth it after 30 years of hunting. Just remember to do your research on who the guide is, And keep in perspective that it's still a hunt. You might not be successful.
"Is there really a huge learning curve to this sport?" That question all depends on you. How much time are you will to put into learning about what your hunting, and the equipment your using. This sport is all about time, patients, and learning. The reward is the animal.

My first hunt was at Raahauges in Corona. I had a blast, shot my first pheasant and learned to clean it. After that it's just boots on the ground. I have spent many days hiking with a shotgun, which is still a fun day. Finally I found a spot or two for quail and Dove.

Read up on the habitats for the game you want to hunt.

Also, just keep reading the posts, most people on this forum are friendly and give good advice. And on occasion you may hear of some potential hunting spots.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu