First time hunting mendota.

dantheman

Jan 4, 2015
orange county
Hi guys. I got drawn for mendota this sat and I've never been. Just trying to find some pointers before I go. I haven't been able to find out much. I know line starts moving at 3am. I can only take 1 friend. And that's about it. Anybody have tips, pointers for a mendota newb.

Well....... my friend and I were so excited. We had a spot to go to first thing that another friend that used to hunt mendota gave to us. We drove there and nobody was following that direction and the road seemed less traveled. Get to our parking spot decide to check out the "pond" on the map. It's a bit off a walk to get to. And sure enough there is no water anywhere near the area that was supposed to be really good. So we hop in the truck started looking for a new spot met a guy and he gave us a place to start so we headed off and we found WATER!!! who hooo. We were happy again threw our decoys out about 15 min into shoot time and waited, heard a couple shots at a distance. That lasted for about 10 min and then it went quiet. No shots anywhere. So we ended up leaving at 9:30 am empty handed and very tired. Also learned mendota stays slow until late December usually according to the people that work there. So I won't be heading that way till december. BUT ............ on the plus side when I got home my wife had a nice surprise for me, she bought me the beretta a400 extreme unico max 4. I can't wait to try this bad boy out. I've been looking/wanting it since last season.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu