First Time San Jacinto

Vermonster

Dec 14, 2012
Well, decided to try San J for the first time yesterday, getting there about 10 to do a refill. I know the afternoon shooting had been very slow, but Figured if I was going to get skunked I'd rather drive 1 hour to do so than 3 to the valley. And, i figured this would be a good scouting run for me and the boys to see what the place was like in case we actually ever do get drawn.

Tom had left the office for a while, but the other guys there were very helpful, including some hunters waiting in line. We ended up taking a spot about noon, because the last couple of recommended blinds hadn't come in yet. Headed out, and threw out a few decoys, let the 15 year old decide where to toss them.

So no joke, 5 minutes later, a drake spoonie flies by. My 15 yo son, the only one who knows how to use a call, hits it, and doesn't that thing snap around, head right at us, and flare into the decoys at 25 yards. We shoot 5 times, and the bird flies off to find someone else. Did I mention we suck at shooting? So then a hen spoonie flies over, we miss that too. Then a small ringneck or teal (came out of the sun) comes in, I miss that. Then, a mallard drake come in at 25 yards, I miss twice, and my son misses once and his new shotgun jams. Again, did I mention we suck at shooting? While I'm frigging with that, a flock (12-15) of mallards flies over at 20 yards and we don't get a shot because one gun is jammed and the other is leaning against the blind while I try to fix it......ugh. They must have got kicked out of the couple of unhuntable places up front, possibly by the dirt bikers that came running around the levees through the refuge......another ugh....

Anyway, saw probably 30-40 other ducks out of range on the afternoon. We were far and away the most active ind, and came away with no birds. Did I mention we suck at shooting????

Place was beautiful, and my sons can't wait to actually try it when we can get into a draw or morning walking and be there for the morning shoot. If we could shoot, we could probably have had 5-7 ducks, thats how many were in range for people who didn't suck......... Not bad I guess for an afternoon hunt.....20211218_123853.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would normally say get out to the skeet and trap range and shoot sporting clays but, with ammo in short supply that might not be an option. So, just keep going back and work on the hand eye coordination. Also remember you are shooting a shogun not a rifle, so don't aim, but point it. Work on proper lead.

I would normally say get out to the skeet and trap range and shoot sporting clays but, with ammo in short supply that might not be an option. So, just keep going back and work on the hand eye coordination. Also remember you are shooting a shogun not a rifle, so don't aim, but point it. Work on proper lead.
Thanks. I thought about that, and I was wondering, can you still use lead at the trap ranges? If so, I have a few hundred 7 1/2 or 8 shot dove loads in lead collecting dust in my safe. Was thinking of hitting a trap range with those.

Also, my problem is I get excited and don't get down on the gun, I think I end up shooting over the birds.

Thanks. I thought about that, and I was wondering, can you still use lead at the trap ranges? If so, I have a few hundred 7 1/2 or 8 shot dove loads in lead collecting dust in my safe. Was thinking of hitting a trap range with those.

Also, my problem is I get excited and don't get down on the gun, I think I end up shooting over the birds.
Yes on lead at range.

The problem with skeet for practice is that your leads are different for steel. The velocity is different and the way steel slows down faster in flight is different. Actually, too much skeet before a duck hunt can really screw you up.

duck hunting with steel - I shorten my lead on ducks close up and lengthen my lead on ducks farther away compared to lead.

The problem with skeet for practice is that your leads are different for steel. The velocity is different and the way steel slows down faster in flight is different. Actually, too much skeet before a duck hunt can really screw you up.

duck hunting with steel - I shorten my lead on ducks close up and lengthen my lead on ducks farther away compared to lead.

This^^^^^^^

Sean,

Sounds like a really fun afternoon...There's a couple of things about shooting and shooting at flying game in particular.

It's always better for your stock to be shorter than longer...Waterfowlers historically wear more cloths like jackets...A stock that fits you at the trap range may not fit you duck hunting...Meaning, you're not getting the gun into your shoulder...This will make you shoot high...Like what has been mentioned...You point a shotgun...Invest in a Tru-Glo sight for your front sight...It gives you a relationship to where your barrel is when pointing.

Close your eyes, open them, and look down your barrel...Are you looking down on the barrel?...Are you looking flat down your rib?...Many guys and some shotguns ( Benelli) like to float the target...Meaning that at the Point Of Aim (center), 60% of your pattern is above POA and 40% is below (shoot below tartget)...I prefer 50/50...Flat down the barrel...Pattern in the centered around POA (cover target)

Get this thought in your head...When a quarterback is throwing a pass...He does not throw where the receiver is...He throws where he's going to be...Distance and speed of shell play a major role here...My brain works with 3" 1 1/8 3's at 1560 FPS...Judging distance is an art form and experience is about the only thing I know to learn it...You can put a bird or target at say 30 yds...Helps some, but looking at a blue sky and a bird going 45 mph is totally different...Again, experience.

Here's a little trick that I have used over the years...When your outside and a bird flies by...Take your index fingers and point it in front of the bird...Then pull the trigger...It gives you the thought of leading determined by the speed & distance of the bird.

Good luck

Here is another tip that works for me…

The shoulder muscles you use to raise and hold a shotgun steady are very small and weak.

So…

7 days before every duck hunt, I go into the garage and practice mounting my gun for at least 5 minutes a day. I grab my AirPods, put on a song, and do it until the song is over. I very slowly trace the horizontal and vertical lines of my garage door.

At the end of 7 days, I hold the gun MUCH more steady than I did on day one. This translates into better shots in the field for me.

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu