Fixed blade or mechanical?

HortoTheSlayer

May 17, 2018
Boise Idaho
What do you guys recommend as far as broadheads for Turkeys and big game?

Trying to stay optimistic that they dont shut down the national forests...

I use both
Mechanicals for long distance, lots of wind,
Fixed for short distance, and very little wind.
wind will deflect fixed blade more.
mechanicals will fly like target heads.

Mechanicals if damage can and have failed to expand.
Fixed will be more easily deflect by wind, or if not tuned properly.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
PERSONALLY...I see no reason to use a bow to hunt turkeys, unless it's required (and there's a number of reasons why)...Really the only turkeys we've ever lost have been from archers...Shooting too far with inferior shells (steel) can result in lost birds as well...I've always been a believer of using the most effective way to kill the game I'm hunting...And most the time, that's with a gun...2 cents

ps...I'm not much of an archer, but killed all my deer with mechanicals...The kids have killed their turkeys with Rage 2"

I seen other hunters loose lots of deer as well, Unfortunately areas like Laguna Rec, Area, Firearms not allowed.
and special archery tag no firearms permitted.
I prefer Rifle & shotgun as well, easier on my arm.

Well G5 Montecs worked well.

And... even after I had to spend 30min cutting out around one in order to get it back out of a dead oak it hit when I'd missed the first shot, that broadhead was very minimally affected/damaged by plunging into that dead oak, surprisingly. I definitely could have used it again that same trip if I'd needed to.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu