Flying southwest with shotgun?

fishingkid

Feb 29, 2012
Anyone fly southwest recently while checking in a shot gun? Heading up north for a few days. I just don't want any surprises when I get to the air port. I was told I can check in my shot gun in any plastic case as long as it's locked. I have a double gun plastic case not name brand that I plan to use. Any issues taking 2 guns? Do they need to be purchased by me? Thinking about taking a back up since I already have the double case. As far as ammo goes from my understanding it's fine as long as it's in some type of ammo can and combined weight under 11 pounds? Flying LAX to Sacramento then Sacramento to Ontario ca. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

When I flew, I used a hard plastic golf bag. Carries 2 guns in the soft gun cases.....They check guns, but that's about it.....I always had action open for them and lock in trigger.....11lbs has pretty much been the weight allowed for shells.....It equals about 4 boxes of Kent 3" 1 1/8 oz.

Good luck

All the major airports check in guns regularly. Lots of people in the greater LA area travel for hunting. They see guns all day.

You should not have any issues. Bring a case that locks. Open it and show it to TSA. Lock it back up and send it on its way. I don't remember bringing a locking case for my ammo. I just remember throwing it in the checked baggage.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TSA approve gun case is what you need . ammo inside your check in luggage with original box or labeled box if you reload .
Check and double check your carry on luggage and your pockets before you enter TSA Final screening or metal detector area....
Travel to so many out of state hunt with no problem...
Good luck and have a safe travel....

I fly with firearms all of the time on the various airlines. Below is Southwests policy:

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/special-luggage-pol.html#baggage_special_luggage_pol_tab_list_tab_8

Guns and Ammunition

Guns
Customers are responsible for knowing and following the firearms laws of the state(s) that they will be traveling to, from, and through.
Our Customers must declare the gun to the Customer Service Agent at the ticket counter (no firearms will be accepted curbside) and ensure that the firearm(s) chambers are free of ammunition and the magazine clip has been removed (when applicable). Paintball guns and BB guns are considered the same as all other firearms.
Paintball guns are allowed in checked baggage and are not subject to the container requirements of firearms. Customers must declare the paintball gun to the Customer Service Agent at the ticket counter. Compressed gas cylinders are allowed in checked baggage or as a carryon only if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e., the cylinder has an open end). TSA Security Screeners must visibly ensure that the cylinder is completely empty and that there are no prohibited items inside.
Firearms must be encased in a hard-sided, locked container that is of sufficient strength to withstand normal handling, as follows:
A firearm in a hard-sided, locked container may be placed inside a soft-sided, unlocked suitcase.
A firearm placed inside a hard-sided, locked suitcase does not have to be encased in a container manufactured for the transportation of firearms.
The locked container or suitcase must completely secure the firearm from access. Cases or suitcases that can be pulled open with minimal effort do not meet the locked criterion.
Only the Customer checking the luggage should retain the key or combination to the lock. No exceptions will be made.
Firearms may be checked and will count toward the two-piece free baggage allowance for each fare-paying passenger. We allow multiple firearms to be transported inside one hard-sided case.
Southwest Airlines assumes no liability for the misalignment of sights on firearms, including those equipped with telescopic sights.
Firearms are never allowed in carryon luggage.
Ammunition
Small arms ammunition for personal use (provided it is properly packed) is permissible in checked baggage only.
The ammunition may be placed in the same container as the firearm and must be securely packed in cardboard (fiber), wood, or metal boxes, or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
When checking ammunition, Customers are limited to 11 pounds gross weight (ammunition plus container) per person.
Magazines or clips containing ammunition must be securely packaged (placed in another small box or in a secure cutout in the carrying case, in order to protect the primer of the ammunition).
Make sure guns are unloaded and definitely never transport a gun in your carryon baggage!
Gunpowder (black powder) and primers or percussion caps are not allowed in checked or carryon baggage.
Loose ammunition or loose loaded magazines and/or clips are not allowed.
Paintballs must be packaged in a leak-proof container and will be subject to limited release.

I read there rules online before posting up a thread also called and spoke to customer service nothing was said about TSA approved case I asked the question and he said let me check the rules put me on hold he said no problem just any kind of locking case. I was told by a neighbor your required to report ahead of time that you will be showing up and checking a gun southwest said no so figured I'd throw this post up see what everyone else has experienced thanks for all the advice.

I fly a lot with firearms. I use a hard case with TSA locks and I remove the bolt. If you want, you can add trigger lock or cable lock through the open action, but the extra lock is not required. Only the container itself must be locked so as to prevent access to the firearm. You want to show when you declare it at check-in that the gun is empty, preferably without handling it. So the bolt out, or action locked open, is good safe practice. You can pack ammo around the rifle in the case, but it should be in its box(es).
Airports vary in the particulars of how firearms are checked in and how you retrieve them at baggage claim. And they are prone to change. I just plan to arrive early at the airport.

I have flown north for the last few years for deer/duck season and brought my deer rifle and shotgun with me, i use a double sided hard case and normally I pull the bolt on the deer rifle and leave the action open on the shotgun. I usually put my ammo in my checked luggage. I do use 4 brinks locks on my hard case and Southwest has never hassled me.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

My biggest suggestion beside the usual ( Unload, check it unloaded a second and third time, and lock in a hard case) DECLARE the Weapon. Which in simple minded chicken farmer english (what I understand) ---- Is you have to tell them you have a weapon and they will check it unloaded and have you sign a piece of paper saying its be DECLARED.

Dont wait for them to ask you - you tell them....

Or you will have to go back to security, talk to a dozen people and get threats of getting fined and spend time in jail - and also a nice letter from TSA....

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu