For Deer Hunting Newbies

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Or for veteran deer hunters for that matter...........Don't ever shoot at a buck and assume you missed it without checking the area well.......This happened today.

I'm having lunch at the Lake Henshaw Café and a MCC member sits down with us. I had just validated another MCC members buck.......We're talking about his buck, when the person that just sits says he missed a great SD buck in the morning.......I asked him since it was almost dark did he check the area well for blood......He said he had looked, but didn't see anything. I asked if he looked after it got lighter.......No was the answer......At this, I suggested we go back and look closer with more guys......He stated he was heading home......I finally convinced him to go back to the spot......I've hunted this spot many times for turkeys. So, I knew the area very well......After we get there, I asked him where he shot from and where was the buck......He showed me the location......Oaks & laydowns to the left. I asked him which way the deer ran.....He wasn't sure, but knew he didn't go right (wide open & could have seen him)......At this, Jacob & I start going left looking for blood.....To our left is a huge dead oak.....I say to Jacob, well I know he didn't jump that oak. So, he had to have gone around it......Just when I say this we smell him and I see blood on some oak leaves......Jacob says, here he is right here. Right in front of the dead oak.....This buck didn't go 35 yds..... ;D

It was this guys 1st buck and is having it mounted......Also showed him how to gut it......lol

I guess the point is.....You own it to yourself and the animal to check the area thoroughly. Even if you think you missed......This beautiful buck wouldn't been lost, if it wasn't for just a chance encounter.

Attachments

• IMG_9098.JPG
    IMG_9098.JPG
    881 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9092.JPG
    IMG_9092.JPG
    853.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9103.JPG
    IMG_9103.JPG
    519.6 KB · Views: 39
Wow. That is a fortunate encounter. What a terrible waste that would have been.

He may be a little embarrassed but he learned a great lesson. Bet he spends more time searching next time.
Congrats to your friend, that's a nice deer.

Nice to know people are helpful out there. Too bad that he needed the help. Being new to hunting this is a great story to hear.

I ran into this guy I couldn't believe that story when I herd it

He also said he will be coyote hunting that area durning the rest of deer season. Good luck mcc guys

Sdbirds said:
He also said he will be coyote hunting that area durning the rest of deer season. Good luck mcc guys
Lol maybe, but I don't see the harm in it.

Wow that would have been a absolute waste. Glad you and Jacob was able to teach him a thing or two of taking some time to look around. By the way that zone should be reserved for members with at least 5 years in ;D

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu