For Hunting do you agree with his comments, your thoughts

I use Hammer Bullets and I was told to start .020 off jam and will go in increments of .005. Now if a person is working with Barnes bullets they recommend .050 off jam right off the bat due to their bullet design.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Short answer, you will have no problem jumping and IMHO should jump some. I read an article somewhere about jumping the lands. I believe it was by Scott Satterlee if I recall correctly. They were jumping huge gaps along the lines of 3/8"+ with good accuracy. I will try to find it.

I found the berger hybrids like to jump too and they are my primary bullets. I jump my 215 hybrids in my 300wm .090". If you jam the lands you can run in to mag length issues and possible pressure issues. You can also have an issue where you chamber a round and if you unload the it unfired the bullet can stay in the lands. You will extract the case and dump powder in your magazine.

Once you find a powder node you can fine tune your groups by changing the seating depth.

Punkur67 and Josh
thanks for the replies, I was viewing youtube videos from .004 .010, .030 and on. it is bewildering.
There is no true absolute, just relative. Barnes talks about .050 to .250. Once I find my powder node, I'm going to play with seating depth. I'm fairly new to reloading so someone correct me if I say something wrong.

There is no true absolute, just relative. Barnes talks about .050 to .250. Once I find my powder node, I'm going to play with seating depth. I'm fairly new to reloading so someone correct me if I say something wrong.

You are on the right track. If you think you are jumping far try checking a factory round

Amen on that. When I first did my .020 jump and compared a book COAL I was surprised at the difference.

I just checked my 6.5 CM Berger 140 hybrids. My rounds are jumping .070 off the lands in my gun. The factory bergers are .138 off the lands in the same gun.

I have a few factory boxes , so I will do the same. The bullets I am practicing with are Hornady 243 SST 95 gr. I may have buy an other manual.
I have read some of my Lyman and Hornady manual about reloading but for load data I go to the powder manufacturers load data or the bullet manufacturers load data. That's just my opinion.

mfg's tell you a jump because they get sick of people asking how much i should jump. Just like barrel makers get sick of getting asked how to break in a barrel. They make up something that wont get anyone killed and wham no more emails asking how.

.030 is a good starting point, the trend right now seems to be more jump but thats just the prs folks. The long range tweekers are not following any pattern that i can tell. some jump some jam some blah blah.

the point is play with it a bit. watch your pressure and see what works. some guns are sensitive 6.5saum, it was only good at one jump. some guns do not care 6woa, i could hand dump benchmark and stuff a 65gr vmax in by hand and it would shoot the same as if i spent all the time in the world loading.

mfg's tell you a jump because they get sick of people asking how much i should jump. Just like barrel makers get sick of getting asked how to break in a barrel. They make up something that wont get anyone killed and wham no more emails asking how.

.030 is a good starting point, the trend right now seems to be more jump but thats just the prs folks. The long range tweekers are not following any pattern that i can tell. some jump some jam some blah blah.

the point is play with it a bit. watch your pressure and see what works. some guns are sensitive 6.5saum, it was only good at one jump. some guns do not care 6woa, i could hand dump benchmark and stuff a 65gr vmax in by hand and it would shoot the same as if i spent all the time in the world loading.
Aeon
your are right about saying on an other post, with the equipment I have is not precise enough. so I have beginners reloading equipment. so I will be more conservative on the run. so I will practice at just making good reloads. hopefully it will be accurate enough.

Thank You Josh and Punkur67 all help full information.

For Berger VLD (which is what Aaron loaded early on) I agree they like to be close to, or touching the lands. They new hybrid ogive are not as sensitive to jump. 15-25 thou is a great place to start. A few rifles I still run a VLD bullet I jam @ .005

Start with what the bullet manufacturer recommends. Once you get your best group, start playing with the seating depth and see if it improves your grouping. I shoot a lot of Barnes bullets and their recommendation is to start at 0.050". The only caution I can give is that bullets seated too close to, or against the lands can give you a dangerous pressure spike.

Wonder what my Remington core lokts are?

I just worked up a load for my 308 using 124-grain Hammer Hunters. It's 2.80" to the lands. The Nosler data I'm using said to seat at 2.75". However, I seated at 2.70" and shot a 1/4" group. I questioned Steve at Hammer and he said just to seat at the top cannelure, which was 2.70". With a 1/4" group, I'm not changing a thing.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu