Fort Hunter Ligget

Ofdscooby

Oct 28, 2018
My friend has a bull tag for FHL this December and I'm gong for sure and the Man Child will be coming along as well with his mullet in all its glory for good luck. For the guys in the know once I'm vetted I just need to pay the 15 dollar fee to tag along? I saw that I can pay $130 to hunt for the year but is it worth it? Do I have a good chance of seeing a pig or are you limited to just his elk in that area. Any insight welcomed thoughts experiences I'm looking forward to it. He's doing his research as well but as you know Federal websites are clear as mud.

I hunted the fort several times with little success, one turkey, zero pigs. I did have a cow Elk almost run me over when she came charging down the hill into my turkey set-up, no idea what scared her. I gave up on the fort because you never knew what area you might draw. I went on a pig hunt and they put me up in the hills which were more likely to hold turkey than pig. Lots of areas are closed for training and the base commander determines which areas will be open or closed. I did get some good turkey areas, but they were on the private property border so the turkey hung out there away from the pressure. Best of luck to your friend on his hunt.

I never hunted it, only trained thee a couple of times. I did, however, pass there on the way to and from dropping the princess off at UC Santa Cruz in mid-September. On the way there, we saw a small sounder on the NB side of the freeway across from the base, and then two more big hogs on the base right by the freeway on the way back. Must have been "no hunting" areas...

I've hunted elk on FHL twice, back when the base had a separate draw for military...one year I drew, and the other year my son drew. During both hunts they closed the base to all hunting except the elk hunters, so you may want to check if they will allow you to hunt if you aren't the holder of the elk tag. The elk hunters were allowed to shoot pigs as long as they hadn't got their elk yet, once you got your elk you were done hunting. They usually have an orientation the day before the hunt where they will go over all the rules.

I can tag along I just had to get vetted which isn't a hard process but it takes a few weeks.

I can tag along I just had to get vetted which isn't a hard process but it takes a few weeks.
You can tag alone. If you want to hunt you pay the $130 for the year (you have to pre-register any firearm you take into the base even if you are not hunting) I am pretty sure you have to go thru the background/screening check-in advance.
The base is huge. There is no "scouting" allowed, You are not allowed to hunt on Friday (unless the rules are different for Elk).
I was chasing pigs and I found them. Many of them were in "No hunting zones" hanging out with the Elk, one of them had a wounded shot but it was on another no-take zone, but we found a few pigs, little bastards make the cross into private for safety and they literally outsmarted me (they waited for me to drive by and when I parked, they run across the fence in to private..lol)

Usually, FHL does not disclose what areas will be open for the weekend until l Friday I believe. You also need to know if the area is a weapon "restricted" area or not. Onyx is not going to help you since ONX does not have the FHL zone boundaries and the FHL map is shitty. You should also consider taking a 4x4 some zones are tricky to get around, especially where pigs hide.

If I was you, I would do my homework about the zone boundaries in detail, review the number of game taken in previous seasons and where they were taken.
In essence, you need to have plan A, B and at least plan C. Getting around from one zone that produced game is not easy (time-consuming).

Is it worth paying to hunt for the year? How far is your drive? My drive is 6hrs. I hunted it once and I knew, I could not justify another trip for pig so I bought the few days pass and I am glad I did.
I would go along with your buddy, buy a couple of days hunting permit and a pig tag and bring your bow (if you have one). You could run into a pig in the same area where you are hunting elk. I am sure your friend would appreciate you not shooting a riffle for a pig where your friend is hunting Elk.

Vetted and ready to head out Monday morning early. Meeting Monday night then we have all week to get it done and get back for Christmas. Wish us luck man child will be in tow and he’s getting some new binos (early) for Christmas so we’ll have fresh eyes to help. I really hoping to see a tule bull hit the dirt.

Reactions: just_ducky_1
Shoot the Big one...there are plenty of Elk out there...post him when you fellars dump him..also..truck access to him after you kill him should be good as they tend to stay close to the roads...I like Ligget.

Had a great time rolled in Monday morning did a little scouting and attended the meeting Monday at 4pm. Made a plan for Tuesday morning and it was the wrong one. Went to an area that we thought would be secluded and it was no one was there and neither were the elk. Tuesday afternoon we got better acquainted with the units did some glassing and saw a lot of elk deer and pigs. Wednesday morning hit an area that we knew had elk but at the same time after talking with the biologist realized they could be anywhere and we just had to keep moving and looking as much as they were. It worked out found a nice bull that would have been a 7x7 if it weren’t busted up but he was a little which is par for the course. I’ve never put a bull elk in a pick up but it’s doable and it was nice that we were able to back up right to it. I can’t wait till my son or myself can get this tag. If anyone ever needs help on this tag I would show up and help without question it was a blast. If I can ever help anyone out on this hunt hit me up I ain’t scared hell I’ll even drive up and help. CEFC3EC9-A469-4D77-AC64-164258AFA143.jpegA86EDB35-F84E-4A0D-A94F-4C02D760D863.jpegCA126B4C-1B82-4CB3-A6DA-25F34F8678E0.jpegF3D68CB1-8E76-4E9D-B4B6-D54BC524B085.jpeg2E965135-D139-41C5-8FB2-8C8E8DA5E432.jpeg1490C6BE-ADCF-4FC6-A8A4-BC1FC8BAD5CF.jpeg1490C6BE-ADCF-4FC6-A8A4-BC1FC8BAD5CF.jpeg37F39B09-4767-49EC-AF86-2FDE1A312C9C.jpegEDCAC3B7-F971-4208-A9A8-55AA339705C4.jpeg

Simply outstanding. While it's been many years, I have hunted the Fort and I know you had put in a real effort to get the old boy. Outstanding. I'm impressed.

Ahh..the roads ..them elk like um...good job dude.. Ligget is cool for sure.

Have you seen any other hunters who have been successful. Are you going to bone it out, or do you have ice chest for quartered sections. Just for general info. there is a butcher shop in King city I have used for my pig, they have always given me overnight service. I just let them know I have a several hour drive home.

Shoot the Big one...there are plenty of Elk out there...post him when you fellars dump him..also..truck access to him after you kill him should be good as they tend to stay close to the roads...I like Ligget.
Almost like you foreshadowed the whole thing lol.

Reactions: HATCHET1

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu