Foxpro sound recommendations

atombombmx

Jan 1, 2014
Pacific Beach
Picked up a wildfire today and going out on the maiden voyage tomorrow. Any recommendations on proven sounds? First time using electronic call, I'm assuming the distress calls will have similar effects as the old mouth calls.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Ummmmmmm usually start with a rodent for a few. After a short pause to cottontail distress low volume. Then I'll stay on cottontail and start messing with the volume up down down up so on. Pause into jackrabbit. Also it's kitty season so we are doing lots of wood pecker. And squeaks. Also we kill 0 cats so don't do what we do lol. Pup distress works well but it's a puzzle have fun with it try things out

Sdbirds said:
Also we kill 0 cats so don't do what we do lol.
Haha, very nice. I probably bit off more than i can chew on the cat tags but that would be a nice surprise. Thank you for the advice. I'm sure it will take some trial and error but I appreciate your input.

Johnny is a killer so heed his advice. And good luck to you and Snack!

I don't doubt that at all. The majority of my varmint success has just come from being in the right place at the right time. I'm taking all the info I can get. We've got it set up, I'll keep you posted.
Thanks again guys.

I talked to snack. Ur going to kill dogs. PLAY THE WIND. They will bust u. O ya WATCH THE WIND

Kitten distress 2 is badass. I've called badger to bobcat with it. Lucky bird is also a great sounds. They work 10 times better then you're rabbits in distress in a place that has pressure. My go to's are those 2 and Byron pup distress and dsg cottontail or lightning jack. But for success rate kittens in distress 2 is about 5 coyotes 1 bobcat in about 10 stands using it in the last 2 months

Not to burst your bubble, but I bought the same foxpro and was not impressed with the volume at all, gonna look into external speaker (or just return it)I believe in the saying you get what you pay for! I'm an old die hard open reed mouth caller I guess. Good luck!

TopBuck said:
Not to burst your bubble, but I bought the same foxpro and was not impressed with the volume at all, gonna look into external speaker (or just return it)I believe in the saying you get what you pay for! I'm an old die hard open reed mouth caller I guess. Good luck!

I've used it too, and the it doesn't sound like much from behind it. But don't forget a coyote can hear 100 times better then a human. I have the hellfire and don't ever use full volume.
To be honest I would have the same chances calling a predator with the wildfire or hellfire.

Folks on the forum are reporting (pictures included) awesome results for both the Wildfire and the Hellfire.

Below are a few FOXPRO sounds that have consistently worked well for me.

Canine pups 1
Baby cottontail
Blue jay distress
Scream-n gray fox
Coyote pup distress 3

Not questioning the Foxpros ability to call in predators, just the max volume was disappointing IMO, as far as what sounds to use, I would use what ever is in the area you are calling in, but baby cottontail is a good start.

Great advice, thank you. The first trip was a lot of fun.
7 stands and saw 2 coyotes. The wind wasn't cooperating at all for the majority of the day. Spotted one at ~400yards for a second and then it ducked into the brush and never saw again.
Second one came on a string right to us. No pictures or video but I know my memory of the first time in the field in California will last a lifetime.

I believe lightning jack seemed to be the hot soundtrack yesterday.

Yea we did he turned out to be one of those ninja coyotes... Dodged 2 3 inch shells of BB at 40 and 50 yards. At one point he was 10 yds from us but he was behind a bush. Still an awesome hunt for two novice coyote hunters!

I have a discontinued Spitfire that works just fine. There have been several comments about the maximum volume. You really don't need a bunch of decibels under "normal" conditions. Now, in a gale, you might have to crank it up a bit, but that's unusual (to be hunting in a gale). The sounds/volume that has worked best for me is to start out LOW with a soft sound (Bay Bee Cottontail or similar) for a few minutes and then switch to an adult cottontail or jackrabbit sound at a low to medium volume for 5-7 minutes. At that point I generally go to almost everyone's favorite, Lightning Jack, for another 5-7 minutes. After that, it's anyone's guess...Lucky Bird, Raspy Woodpecker, ??? and finally Pup Distress. Probably the best caller in our club rarely gets above medium volume, and he calls in a ton of dogs.

I find when they get smart and hang up just out of range start using scents. You want to overload their brain.

I'll take some quail or rabbit hide/guts and place them down wind of us between us and the caller. The yotes circle around and they hear the call and smell you and the guts but can't help themselves. Now it works great once or twice in a heavy pressured area then they learn. But they still try to catch a glimpse and can give you a shot if your quick. Also use the terrain to block your back door or down wind. I like to find little canyons and put the call on the edge of the floor and climb up about 2/3 to the top of the canyon with the sun at my back in the shade or make a quick blind.

And if you have a remote decoy turn it off and use it once the yote is down wind of the hide and watch that yote charge the decoy. I've also used a black piece of fabric or a crow wing around the caller to look like a raven and do a few crow sounds after the yote hangs up and that can get them to come in.

A squirrel call has worked for me if their are any in the area.

Another technique use your dog. I've had my dog next to me while calling and has alerted me to a yote she smells, hears or sees that I didn't.
I also lure My dogs. Yotes hate other dogs and some will charge your dog you just need to have good control over your dog. I'll start the caller and send the dog out to the caller if she alerts me to a yote. Once the yote sees the dog they will charge your dog or most of the time sneak in. If I can't get a shot before the yote gets too close to my dog I just zap my dog and she comes back. An AR is great for this but a low power scope is a must for some shots.

I also would let my jagds dispatch the yote if conditions are right.

If you are real serious about yotes get a Tejon spring pass they are loaded with yotes (and now lions & bears). I learned so much about yotes from that ranch and had a blast lowering the population and trying different technics.

This is just one more great thread on this forum. Thanks everyone for these posts. Going out this weekend to try out our new Wildfire we bought at FF (thanks John for your help & advice, as always).
Report to follow.

Sent via Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu