Freezer Meat

8SteelTown

Each year, as we get out of hunting season and all that's left to hunt are the inedibles, how often do you find yourself going to your freezer to get some meat to treat yourself with? I decided to thaw out and brine some dove and duck breasts and save a few bucks on store bought protein. My breakfast this morning was Ruddy and Eggs. Lunch will be Gadwall and Salad. Dinner will be Mallard and starch / veg. Not sure what my plan is for the dove, but I used the same brine as the duck which is a first time for me (normally use a bath of Italian Dressing). MAN I cook a mean Ruddy! ;)

Ruddy.jpg

Attachments

• Ruddy.jpg
    Ruddy.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 0
That's lots of cholesterol........I wouldn't eat much more than for entire week......Just sayin'

I eat wild game about 3 days a week. That includes lean elk, deer, wild turkey or pheasant......All my end of the season waterfowl are used at the super bowl party (chili, smoked, grilled).

ilovesprig said:
That's lots of cholesterol........I wouldn't eat much more than for entire week......Just sayin'

I eat wild game about 3 days a week. That includes lean elk, deer, wild turkey or pheasant......All my end of the season waterfowl are used at the super bowl party (chili, smoked, grilled).

Glad you said this... I had no idea. I'll limit myself to 1 per day. Good looking out Sprig.

Cholesterol
A 3-ounce serving of cooked duck meat with the skin contains 75 milligrams of cholesterol, and a 3-ounce serving without the skin contains 70 milligrams. This is approximately 25 percent of the recommended limit of 300 milligrams of cholesterol per day for healthy adults. If you have heart disease or high cholesterol, limit your daily cholesterol intake to 200 milligrams per day.

Saturated Fat in Duck Meat
Saturated fat consumption has a greater effect on your blood cholesterol levels than cholesterol intake. Limit your saturated fat intake to no more than 7 to 10 percent of your daily calories. Three ounces of cooked duck meat without the skin contains 4 grams of saturated fat, and 3 ounces of cooked duck meat with the skin contains 8 grams of saturated fat. For someone on a 2,000-calorie diet, this is 20 percent or 40 percent of the recommended saturated fat intake for the day, depending on which type of duck meat you consume.

if you have not tried already..most have ....try the bacon wrapped dove poppers..

I make them 2 ways,
dove around a slice of cream cheese and Jalapeno
dove around a slice of cream cheese and pineapple

wrap with maple bacon or reg bacon smothered in brown sugar on the barby, don't overcook.....good Sh*t

Poppers are my tried and true use. Might do tacos this time.

8SteelTown said:
Poppers are my tried and true use. Might do tacos this time.

good idea...im taking the wife on her first hunt for euro next weekend, gonna try tacos as well, let us know how they come out and how you cooked them

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu