Frog gigging last night---not a pretty sight

doccherry

May 7, 2021
Went to Will Valley [MCC] last night to skewer some amphibians. What was once a beautiful little lake is now a weedy mudflat with some water out in the middle. Took an hour to get my self-imposed limit of 10. Very few frogs compared to last year. Saw a couple of really nice bass dead along the shoreline. No deer tracks at all. If any of you guys know how to rain dance, I strongly urge you to start bustin' your best moves ASAP. I don't know much about wildlife management, but some of you do, so how will these dry conditions impact the deer hunting in SoCal this fall?

As an addendum, if finding deer early this fall comes down to finding sources of water, what techniques would you experienced guys suggest for finding water sources that might otherwise be hard to find? Can you use Onyx or Google Earth to find sources? I may start scouting soon, using whatever methods/technology you suggest, and fairly soon in case there are forest closures later this summer. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I knew I should've went frog gigging up there last week..... :joy:

As far as the wildlife goes, they know where the natural seeps and water is...Unfortunately, so will the predators.

I knew I should've went frog gigging up there last week..... :joy:

As far as the wildlife goes, they know where the natural seeps and water is...Unfortunately, so will the predators.
Steve: How do you find the water seeps and springs?

Related question: does anyone know how OnX maps identifies water springs?
There is a natural, year-round spring in an area where I hunt (water comes up out of the ground and its not from anywhere uphill). OnX has this spring marked. I am thinking OnX must be using thermal satellite imaging to identify a spring that is so far from any road. Or maybe there is a database of natural springs, created from surveys over the years?

There is a natural, year-round spring in an area where I hunt (water comes up out of the ground and its not from anywhere uphill). OnX has this spring marked. I am thinking OnX must be using thermal satellite imaging to identify a spring that is so far from any road. Or maybe there is a database of natural springs, created from surveys over the years?

Great question........And, I have no idea........ :joy:

OnX is definitely not using satellite technology to identify water sources for their hunting app. That all just comes from information from surveys. They are just compiling available public information and putting it into a user friendly format.

bull frogs are invasive btw.. kill them all. They are wrecking our steelhead sawtooth mud skipper spawn

Reactions: doccherry
They are terribly invasive and eat baby fish [including bass] and all sorts of native animals. They are so competitive that native animals don't have a chance. Yes, kill them when you see them but also consider eating them. Properly prepared, pretty darn good.

Reactions: sportyg
bull frogs are invasive btw.. kill them all. They are wrecking our steelhead sawtooth mud skipper spawn

They are NOT invasive....They were introduced into California as a food source...I wish every creek, pond, and river still had them like the old days...There wasn't a golf course in SoCal that didn't have bull frogs and bass...Of course, bass are introduced into California too...So, better get of them as well...:angery:

Tree hugging greenies unite.............:poop:

They are NOT invasive....They were introduced into California as a food source...I wish every creek, pond, and river still had them like the old days...There wasn't a golf course in SoCal that didn't have bull frogs and bass...Of course, bass are introduced into California too...So, better get of them as well...:angery:

Tree hugging greenies unite.............:poop:
Steve---Good to know. Every source I could find, including universities, indicate they are invasive and have upset the local fauna throughout the south and the southwest. Maybe I had better do some more research. Thanks for the info.

Don't want to start a tussle here, but introduced species can be invasive if they are non-native and cause economic or biological harm. That's the actual technical definition of "invasive." For the American bullfrog, check out National Geographic, Stanford, many others, and they all say that the bullfrog is invasive. So does the CA government website. Bass, on the other hand, is not considered an invasive species because, although it was introduced [non-native], it has not caused economic or serious environmental harm. To the contrary, bass have proven to be an economic windfall to many parts of the US. I still stand by my statement that the American bullfrog is an invasive species.

This is the CA Fish and Wildlife website that discusses the American bullfrog. They clearly state that it is invasive. And, a species that is intentionally introduced can become invasive. For example, the mongoose in HI, introduced to kill rats but now killing off the native birds.

Last edited:
When were bullfrogs introduced to California?

According to Stebbins & McGinnis (2012) American Bullfrogs were first introduced into California either in 1896 or in 1905 (both dates are used in the book) in order to use their legs as a food source.

American bullfrogs were intentionally introduced into the western United States as a food source and for biological control of insects, and may have been accidentally introduced into some areas during fish stocking.

IMO...Something that is intentionally introduced, is NOT invasive...Chukar, ring necked pheasant, turkeys were all introduced and are not called invasive...Eurasian collared doves migrated here and are considered invasive, as are house sparrows & starlings.

ps... Little known fact...In Carlsbad on the south side of Int. 5, you'll see a large lagoon...On the north side of the lagoon you'll see a series of large square ponds...Those ponds were part of a large bull frog farm...I'm pretty sure that how they were introduced to SD Co...I love bull frogs... :heart:

.pond fishing 6-12-13 006.JPG

• Haha
When were bullfrogs introduced to California?

According to Stebbins & McGinnis (2012) American Bullfrogs were first introduced into California either in 1896 or in 1905 (both dates are used in the book) in order to use their legs as a food source.

American bullfrogs were intentionally introduced into the western United States as a food source and for biological control of insects, and may have been accidentally introduced into some areas during fish stocking.

IMO...Something that is intentionally introduced, is NOT invasive...Chukar, ring necked pheasant, turkeys were all introduced and are not called invasive...Eurasian collared doves migrated here and are considered invasive, as are house sparrows & starlings.

ps... Little known fact...In Carlsbad on the south side of Int. 5, you'll see a large lagoon...On the north side of the lagoon you'll see a series of large square ponds...Those ponds were part of a large bull frog farm...I'm pretty sure that how they were introduced to SD Co...I love bull frogs... :heart:

.View attachment 54430
The Frog Prince.

• Haha
Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu